Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Convert splines to Arcs???

Incogneeto

1. create a contour toolpath using the spline and use the toolpath arc filtering to fit arcs and lines. (compensation set to "Off")
2 You now need to change the toolpath to geometry from the Backplot menu
using the "Save as geometry" button

3. lines and arcs are created at an accuracy of your choice , Voila ! 

Gracjan

1. create a contour toolpath using the spline and use the toolpath arc filtering to fit arcs and lines. (compensation set to "Off")

2 You now need to change the toolpath to geometry from the Backplot menu

using the "Save as geometry" button

3. lines and arcs are created at an accuracy of your choice , Voila ! 

Gracjan

wow didn't think of that! that's a great way.  what I don't like is that sometimes the path looks good on the screen but faceted on the part. I don't always know how it will come out.

wow didn't think of that! that's a great way.  what I don't like is that sometimes the path looks good on the screen but faceted on the part. I don't always know how it will come out.

I have an operation saved in my ops library called convert spline that has all of the settings I need to convert splines in this way. Import, chain, and generate. Done! I only use it when I have splines, lines, and arcs all mixed into a chain. If I have a bunch of circle splines, I Edit-Simplify.

I can usually tell when my chain contains splines by watching the backplot. When the tool stutters in certain areas, I know I've got a spline.

Hi Guy's,

Is there a way to convert a set of splines to arcs easily? The engineers are switching back and forth on us (don't know why?) I tried the chook Drill point

But it didn't work or I did not use it properly. All I need is a drill point.

Some splines will not convert if the tolerance is set too tight.  It depends on how close you need it to be.

Obviously you want to be as accurate as possible, but some splines require you to set tolerance to .002".

If it is a circle you are going to be within .001....good enough for general work..