Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 or X10 enhancement request

Bob W.

I have mentioned this before a few times and I'm bringing it up again.  Having misc integers and misc reals at the tool assembly definition level would be extremely valuable.  Here are a few instances were they would make us much more efficient.

Safety:

For those running cell systems that have tool numbers defined as a cutter, holder, and stickout combination with misc reals at the tool level you could assign a drop dead gage length or gage length window (upper and lower values).  Via macros at the machine you could have the machine check the actual gage length against this assigned value and if the actual was too short (or long) it would alarm the machine.  This would add a valuable layer of safety for those running cells or this tool numbering strategy

Break detection:

Ability to assign break detection parameters at the tool level.  This would include specifying the break check routine and tolerance and it would be done at the individual tool assembly level.  An indexable shell mill could have the inserts checked at the correct offset, drills would use the solid tool routine, drills and taps, excluding indexable drills would ALWAYS be checked, bull mills and end mills could have the appropriate offset entered to check at the correct location and IT WOULD BE AUTOMATIC, AT THE TOOL LEVEL.

Tool life:

Tool life could be set per tool, per project.  If I am running steel at Rc50 I could edit the tool data in the program (not the master library) so it would set tool life and tool life monitoring every time the program was run.  This could probably be done with traditional misc reals and misc integers but it would be better to have it at the tool level.  This would make setting this data tied to the program and reduce the setup man/ machine operator burden and mistakes.

Tool change parameters:

Tool change speeds or other data could be set automatically by the program so large tools that need tool change speeds reduced could tie it to the tool assembly and make it automatic, reducing errors and oversights by the operator.

Tool load:

Tool load parameters could be tied to the indvivdual tool and this would be fully automatic and tied to the NC program.  When a program was run utilizing the specified tool, load monitoring and parameters would automatically be set in the machine via macros.

All of these things would require macros at the machine and simple post modifications but they would be extremely valuable.  We use all of these technologies and they make our shop much more efficient.  With misc reals and misc integers available at the tool assembly level all of this could be tied to the specific tools that need them and once implemented it would be 100% automatic.  I'm sure there are a number of applications I missed here and the ones listed are only the ones we would take full advantage of.  If anyone else has applications that would streamline processes I'd love to hear them.

• Like 1

Is it possible to slow down the speed of a tool change. reason I ask is I have seen machines alarm out due to the tool change arm being out of sync or some odd reason and not moving at all thus after about 60 seconds an error is thrown up on the screen of said machines saying tool change cycle has timed out. this leaves you stuck dead in the water and having to start your tool change process all over again. So slowing the speed down could cause machine errors possibly ?? or is this something that can be adjusted via parameters or keep relays at the machine control..

:offtopic:

Is it possible to slow down the speed of a tool change. reason I ask is I have seen machines alarm out due to the tool change arm being out of sync or some odd reason and not moving at all thus after about 60 seconds an error is thrown up on the screen of said machines saying tool change cycle has timed out. this leaves you stuck dead in the water and having to start your tool change process all over again. So slowing the speed down could cause machine errors possibly ?? or is this something that can be adjusted via parameters or keep relays at the machine control..

I would say that you have mico switches or proximity switches that are gummed up or contaminated by swarf and the logic of the toolchange macro is failing.

Or someone has played with the macro and the logic is messed up, however then the toolchange would likely never work.

Many machines have a Large/Heavy tool toolchange sequence that runs physically slower than a regular toolchange to combat inertia.

Yes, my Makinos have three tool change speeds and these are specified in the tool data page where tool lengths and wear offsets are input.  A large heavy tool would be changed at the low speed and it is up to the operator/ setup person to make that judgement call unless it is specifically called out in the setup sheet.  With misc values in tool definitions it would always be automatic and it would be set by the program.

If you're talking about adding mi/mr at the tool def level then I'm all for it. If you're talking moving them then I would be against it. I use my misc/reals (and canned text) for process control.

No, I'm talking about ADDING to tool definitions and leaving the existing configuration at the operation level intact.

I asked about this a few years ago Bob. Especially handy for settings for Sandvik Coromant twin tools. I did get some smarta$$ reply from some at the misty hq asking why I would need that (I was actually there at the time).

Sure would have been handy.

I would be extremely happy If we could just get a small enhancement on drive surface selection......

Make it impossible to choose the entire solid when you have face selection toggled  :rant:

I agree, that one is definitely annoying.

:offtopic:

I would say that you have mico switches or proximity switches that are gummed up or contaminated by swarf and the logic of the toolchange macro is failing.

Or someone has played with the macro and the logic is messed up, however then the toolchange would likely never work.

Many machines have a Large/Heavy tool toolchange sequence that runs physically slower than a regular toolchange to combat inertia.

probably gummed up proximity switches most likely on the machine Im referring too. The tool change area and arm and all that goes with it gets soaked with coolant throughout the day. As for the speeds we have 3 very large makinos in our shop two 50 taper and the other HSK-100 taper I think? but they do not have the option of adjusting tool change speeds for different tools. they all are changed at same speed. thus the reason I questioned this logic. but if its available and its a viable solution Im all for it. I know I would like the misc integers more easily accessible than they are now for other reason than mentioned above basically for dwell times for custom drill cycles and to be able to change wcs and many other things that could be implemented.

You could probably use Head Number for one fo those tool level requests. I agree though, would be nice to have some additional tool data fields to use for machine functions.