Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Which Drill Bit Material do your Prefer?

I always use/specify carbide unless there is a compelling reason not to (i.e. Some materials shrink up when you cut them - pure nickel for one). Price of the tool should NOT be the overriding factor, performance should be.

Our shop will use cobalt, HSS, powdered metal and carbide.  I personally tend to lean to the carbide because I like ripping holes without pecking and without center drilling.  Carbide drill speeds and feeds, without pecking greatly increases productivity.  Dealing with the numbers you're talking about, carbide all day buddy.   :laughing:

• Like 2

We use the whole spectrum depending on the job at hand; personally my go-to drill is an Iscar Sumocham indexable carbide drill. We've got damn near the entire spectrum of drill sizes they offer and I can say without any exaggeration that those things have dramatically changed our entire shop. For smaller holes we tend to use YG Dream Drills (carbide, coolant thru). Punching through stainless at 60 ipm is always fun to watch. For one-offs or low production runs we'll use a HSS drill if we have no other option because we're less worried about cycle time than making a good part. If it turns into production a carbide drill is ordered.

• Like 1