Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Graphite Machining

For those of you who machine graphite electrodes on a regular basis - do you rough, semi-finish, and finish your electrodes?  Or do you just rough and finish?

We rough to .010"/s and finish to 0".  I sometimes wonder if it would be advantageous to put a semi finish pass in there. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I always ran a semi-finish path. It will help your finish tool cut more consistent in the long run. As for finish stock I found leaving 10% of my finish tool diameter always helped. Any less and your just rubbing the cutter, more and you deflect it.

• Like 1

myself i  rough, semi, then finish

rough with a diamond burr .005/s left, 300ipm 25k rpm

semi finish .001/s left

finish 

I love those diamond burr...I run a 3/8 dia. diamond burr in a Mikron HSM 400U at 850ipm.. is quite a show!!..got to find the video to upload..

• Like 1

Rough to +.010. Finish to 0. Unless it's a big trode, then we rough to +.020 with a 1/2" diamond, the go +.010, and 0. We have Roeders mills for trodes and the operators can set the tolerances for each path. They really open it up for roughing. I used to go +.010 with the 1/2", but had some trodes not clean up.

• 2 weeks later...