Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plane offset problem

So not a Guru

We have a Mazak VCU 5 axis machine that is giving us fits. It cuts all geometry fine when it's at B0° & C at any angle. But with B at 90° & C at any angle, all geometry is offset 0.0125" from where we program it in MC. We haven't run any multiaxis paths yet, so we don't fully know how far off we are.

As a work around to get parts out the door, we are having to copy the front, back, left & right planes, put a +0.0025" shift in X & a -0.021" shift in Y. We have to do this for every part!

Has anyone else run across this type of problem? If so, can you offer any ideas up?

Zeke

• Like 1

It would seem you have a setup problem on the machine.  I don't know what you would use on this particular machine to check your homes to be sure the offsets are correct, but that is where I would start.  If the centers of your rotations are not dialed in you will struggle forever.

You have the ability inside the 5X posts from CNC Software to enter a "shift" amount to account for your rotary axes not being in alignment. There is a pretty simple procedure for measuring this shift with dial test indicator.

If you don't already have a copy, you should get the book "Secrets of 5X Machining" by Karlo Apro. This book does a fantastic job of explaining how to setup your machine, tools, fixtures, and program toolpaths for 4X and 5X machines. The information on how to setup the machine and how to take the proper measurements is worth the cost of the book by itself, and you get a whole lot more beyond that.

Once you've figured out the exact numbers on the machine, you can enter these values inside the Post Processor, and it will compensate the output properly.

• Like 2

It would seem you have a setup problem on the machine.  I don't know what you would use on this particular machine to check your homes to be sure the offsets are correct, but that is where I would start.  If the centers of your rotations are not dialed in you will struggle forever.

We just had the Mazak tech out here & he spent a day & a half completely re-installing the machine to ensure everything is as it's supposed to be on the machine.

You have the ability inside the 5X posts from CNC Software to enter a "shift" amount to account for your rotary axes not being in alignment. There is a pretty simple procedure for measuring this shift with dial test indicator.

Ok, I bought the book, but it won't be here till Tuesday. Is the procedure to measure the required shift availible anywhere else?

Oh, thanks for the info too

Zeke

Basicly you need to find is the difference between the center of rotation of the rotary and the trunnion. You need to position the trunnion at 90deg find the center of the rotary then rotate the trunnion 180deg find the center of the rotary again the difference in Z is the offset.

• Like 1

L133 and 135 control x and z at b90. Mazak has a spreadsheet that "calculates" these numbers. It's usually not right. I clear those numbers out, run a test part. Then put an offset there after I get s5 and s12 as close as possible

Here is a test file I use for 5 Axis machines.

HTH(Hope that Helps)

I can't change the machine files. I'm getting a "Your SIM is not enabled for the necessary product" message. We have multi-axis router, I would have thought it would be enough.

That's a shame, because this looks like a great checking program.

Zeke