Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inconel 718 cast precipitation hardened

So, I have never personally worked with this material.  But we have cut this in the past using carbide endmills, with low tool life.  Judging from the other Inconel I have done, this is somewhat typical.  I have heard it three ways: M42 is better, carbide is better, PM is better.  What do you guys think?  What has worked well for you?

Ceramic for Inconel ALL DAY LONG!!! :yes:

Don't let the warm glow from the machine scare you either. That $#!+ looks like fife when you cut it but tool life is good, surface finish is great, and SFM if through the roof comparatively speaking. I've used Kenametal's stuff. I start in the middle od the SFM and chip load then adjust from there.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I have successfully had good tool life out of carbide in both milling and turning. I agree that ceramics work well but it also depends on the part. Ceramics generate a lot of heat so if you have a thin part you may have problems with distortion. For milling the same material I have had cut times of 20 minutes+ with carbide using dynamic milling with feeds as high as 50ipm. I have also produced some of the same results in turning. If I had more details I could probably give you a few recommendations.

I would agree with all the comments. It really depends on the part geometry as to what cutting tool works best.  Ive had better success with M42 and small hole drilling. Sometimes carbide for turning, sometimes for milling. One of my best WOW moments was cutting Inco blades...used a 1.0 dia button cutter with Kennametal ceramics.  It ran best at 18,000 rpm & 150 ipm feed - full width cut .035 deep - like a feed mill type cut. Sparks were flying!  I did have it at 35,000 & 360 ipm. BUT it was a little unpredictable. And at that speed, when something goes, it really goes FAST.