Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Worm Gear

mroy0404

Hi Guys

I have drawn this worm gear and would like to machine it on a Doosan 2000sy with live tooling and y axis.   In mastercam what toolpath would be best using the live tooling with a 1/4" ballnose end mill.  Can a C axis tool path read from a solid model? I have tried using mill muti axis flow tool path with the best results, but the dam tool only wants to feed down one angle then back up the second angle, this causes way to much material for the cutter. could there be a tool path that would cut multi pass's for the width then step down to clear all the material first?

The gear is 5" dia  x 1.25 pitch. 

Any help would be great

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply CJep

I have the pattern surface applied,   the problem really is the tool wants to follow the surface down the surface than back up the second angle. this leaves way to much material for the endmill. Could there be a way to make the tool take depth cuts roughing out the worm in steps?

worm%20gear_zps4h3iqo8y.png

I've done a similar part to that and I used flow 5-axis and locked it to 4. I machined the floor first using the walls as check surfaces, then went down the walls for a semi-finish and finish using the floor as a check surface. IIRC that is. This was back in the V8 days... yeah... like 10-15 years ago. :rofl:

That's totally doable though. You're gonna have crap ton of code, hope your machine is set to run off the memory card.

I would break it into section on that machine and approach it totally differently. With C axis you are really limited on what you can get away with for an effective toolpath. Natural shape limitations become the major thing working against you here. Yes it can be done, but I would do a peel mill in steps to rough the profile down in the V shape. Then I would come back with a custom made profile tool and try to cut the walls in one pass. Maybe taking .002 per pass till I achieved my required PD. Hobbing machines are best suited for cutting gears trying to make this on a CNC lathe will make something, but I would not think it will be correct.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I ended up using a 1/4" ballnose end mill with 5 Axis flow toolpath locked to 4 axis and follow surface pattern for the cut parameter. What really helped was to extrud the tooth profile in sections (8 sections to be exact) this created 8 separate surfaces to control toolpaths and depth of cuts. I first created a roughing program leaving .100 on walls and .025 on floor.

The finishing program ran smoothly at 1 hr 30 minutes cycle time with about 18000 lines of code!

Thanks again for all your replies