Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Doosan V Haas

Looking at a Haas ST 30 or a Doosa GT 2100

HAAS is a 2D lathe with 10" chuck and linear guides.

Doosan has C axis, live tools, box slids on X and an 8" chuck

Whats the Haas like for conversational programming?

Haas has a more powerful spindle motor, but I'm not convinced on a linear guide lathe machine

I looked at both. Doosan is a far better machine. Cost is close if you can deal.

The Haas ST30sy only has live tools on the front of the turrent and 12 stations.  I believe its the Doosan 2100sy, has 24 stations and live tooling on the side and front of the turrent.

Hass has no way covers on the "X". Meaning the guides are open.

We were looking at a bigger lathe. I turned down the Haas and submitted the Doosan as a far better machine.

If you load both up, the cost was about $20000.00 difference. I didn't look at the bar feeder cost for the Doosan.

Machineguy

We currently have a Doosan 2100sy on the floor along with 2 other Doosan (Puma 240s) . At my last shop we brought in a Haas ST20 a few months before I left , was a decent machine but not on the same level as the Doosan,s . Haas does have control features i have more experience with and what i prefer , but in the end i would invest with Doosan or the likes . As pointed out the Doosan is capable of having a live tool in all 12 of the turret positions , it is also capable of a mid turret position . Our machine also has a "Y" axis which has been very useful in the production of the products we produce .  

A ??? in regards to the Haas are you going to be using the machine as a twin spindle and transfering parts for "A" to "B" or using it as a tailstock , our machines are all equipped with collets on both spindles and we have chucks we can swap to if needed . 

As for barfeeders we currently have 2 LNS,s and a older SMW . The LNS can be finicky , and the SMW is a true work horse that as been rock solid in operation day in day out , which is very helpful  as we run lights out up to 4 shifts a week . 

One thing to watch out for on the 2100SY is when powering down the machine there is several inches of turret drop on the "Y" axis so be careful on where it is when shutting the machine down . 

Even if you estop first?

Just curious.

YES!!! as soon as the hydraulics are powered OFF be it manually , power failure or the machine being bumped enough to trip the overload settings the "Y" axis will drop on the slides .

in regards to machine weight , tag on back of the machine states 5900KG,s for the 2100SY

Myself if the budget allows it get the Doosan , in the end you will be a much happier customer .

Haas are a great machine for certain markets but are not a true workhorse when compared to the Doosan . 

Our oldest  Puma 240 is a Daewoo  and it still runs for 96hrs or so a week on average  and is trouble free and has over 18,000hrs of cycle time and has produced over 600,000 parts .

Looks like the regular 2100 has more options available , it can be set-up as a twin spindle ,  has a " Y" axis option ,  a parts catcher on the "B" spindle .

The GT2100 has a tail stock and is designed more for doing " A" spindle only procedures , where the 2100 can turn and mill parts with both spindles . 

Guest MTB Technical Services

Looking at a Haas ST 30 or a Doosa GT 2100

HAAS is a 2D lathe with 10" chuck and linear guides.

Doosan has C axis, live tools, box slids on X and an 8" chuck

Whats the Haas like for conversational programming?

Haas has a more powerful spindle motor, but I'm not convinced on a linear guide lathe machine

Correction, Doosan has the more powerful spindle motor.

Haas is openly lying because they use a 5 minute rating.

Their spindle ratings are completely worthless and have been a joke in the industry for 15+ years.

There is no comparison between the two machines.

The Doosan will kill the Haas and eat it for lunch.

Glad you purchased the Doosan.

You won't be sorry.

• Like 1