Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill - boring bar combo lathe tool

Smit

OK so when I drill it would be t0101 but then boring t0111. Damn that is a way simpler way to program than what I was thinking Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Actually, just one offset. Just start boring slightly off center. No drilling op needed. You NEVER want to drill on center with a U-drill on a lathe if you can avoid it. By drilling off center you create alot more room for chip flow and the flute with the center cutting insert won't rub the back wall when chips get wedged in there. This prevents galling and tool burn up. Always use a straight flute insert drill for lathe work for better chip flow. Your tool manuf will recommend the amount you can drill off center. I would recommend Sandvik insert drills or Mitsubishi.  One more suggestion. Try to program the back wall of your bore (if there is one) with a taper. This will prevent the drill from "barking" when it hits the back wall.