Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Makino/Matsuura Mill-Turn

Just out of curiosity, why don't these 2 builders make an Integrex/Multus style machine (main/sub spindle, milling head, lower turret)  Do they just focus on what they do best, since they don't make lathes or they let the others handle that market? (Cublex aside)  ;)

sounds like a marketing strategy.

gonna have to ask the CEO, for that one. (i'll let you know what he says, when he gets back to me :guitar: )

OKUMA and MAZAK both make machines that compete with makino/mats.

could argue that the smaller maker is more effecient focusing on a small product line (in -n-out burger style)

college types will tell you economies of scale will win if you can standardize components across a large product offering.

so clearly Haas wins :smoke:

Funny how the builders that only make lathes or mills are some of the best. 

Mike

i haven't run "the best"

Fadal only makes mills...so...? :-)

who makes the best Lathes from a lathe only maker? what specifically is better than the competition? features? benefits?

mills?

i knew a shop that bought a new Nakamura lathe in the '90's. It had some bugs/ teething issues.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/matsuura-mx-520-tool-point-control-kinematic-parameters-thermal-growth-309275/

joe788 put some really awesome naked pictures on the thread. really!

(they can cuss over there too)

Yes good illustrations in the differences in machine constructions. We've got a few in SoCal and a few more in NorCal. This was the first I heard about it.

There was a suggestion in the topic to use WSEC to comp for the error. That is one way. The other way is once the machine has reached operating temperature, run eZ-5 (Matsuura's equivalent to Renishaw's Axi-Set) to reset center of rotation and machine as normal.

Too bad joe bailed. He's a cool dude. Isn't the first time people got tired of the trolls. The tree stooges call me a troll, maybe I do on occasion, but, at least I bring something positive to the table. They bring two things, NOTHING, AND NOTHING GOOD. My technical expertise MORE than makes up for my occasional troll. Like I've said before, I could stop posting for the next DECADE then the 3 stooges COMBINED would not equal my quality contributions to date. :yes:

What I find odd about .0016" of thermal growth in the Y is that the machine has scales.

Yeah, no kidding. That's what has me scratching my head. And we have enough in my territory (between 8 and a dozen) that I feel like I would have heard something by now. I guess I will keep my ear pressed to the pavement.

That's one thing that bugs me about the internet. A small number of people (or one vocal person) have an issue with something and it gets WAY bigger than it really is. My wife is part of a Facebook group... well in this group, they report crime. During a period of time there was a few Suburbans broken into and the 3rd row seats were stolen. EVERYONE was talking about it, it got huge and sounded like there multiples every day. Finally, a cop posts up with the crime statistics and vehicle break ins were actually on the decline, but because everyone was talking about it it became larger than it really was.

What I find odd about .0016" of thermal growth in the Y is that the machine has scales. That is unacceptable, that is the type of thermal growth I expect from a Haas 5ax trunnion without scales.

fixed for my experience.

I know, in the past, i have postulated problems i was seeing only to find out it was really my error.

so we would need independent confirmation before drawing any conclusions.

seems like using that "eZ-5 (Matsuura's equivalent to Renishaw's Axi-Set)" and tracking the changes would put the issue to bed.

seems like using that "eZ-5 (Matsuura's equivalent to Renishaw's Axi-Set)" and tracking the changes would put the issue to bed.

No, that would be masking the problem. I would be surprised if that machine actually generated enough heat to move .0016" in a climate controlled environment, without scales. I'd be curious to know if there was a ballscrew/way lubrication issue, or if it is a scale feedback issue.

sorry, what meant by  tracking the changes was tracking the parameters in the control that changes when you run the ez-5 routine. if parameters changes by amount being mentioned, that would pretty much confirm it, independent of operator error.

the fact that the A-axis structure and motor (heat) connects to the machine along Y leads me to believe one would see some growth along Y.

*Its pretty cool how the X axis guides are so close to the Y axis. must be wicked rigid that way.

I would be surprised if that machine actually generated enough heat to move .0016" in a climate controlled environment

good point. some quick math could maybe call BS on the whole thing.

what would the delta T be to get .0016 growth over 16"(?) inshes?

15-16*F is enough for steel to expand .0016" over 16", which would be a huge swing in climate and it would take a long time to be absorbed and shown in the machine, but, a lack of lubricity, over aggressive rapid speeds or accel/decel rates and your could see that temperature increase localized on your ballscrew and trucks in an hour or less.