Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

KVM Switch?

crazy^millman

Okay so I have been going back and froth between 2 computer. One is allowed to be on the internet and one is not so a Software option that uses Ethernet is off the table. That leaves me with a Hard Wired KVM switch. I don't care to have my monitors work with the switch and seen most only support VGA and not HDMI or Display port. I am using Monitors with 2 HDMI connection to it is easy switching them between the computers, but it is getting old having (2) keyboards, (2) 3D mouse and (2) mouse on my desk. I was set up with 3 monitors for one system and 2 monitors for the other. They were 90 degrees to each other, but have scaled back down to 2 monitors. The issues is having the sets of 2 of everything now in front of me. I am using the wrong keyboard or mouse constantly. I have heard nothing but issue with using these. I had something like this years ago, but that was back in a Windows 95 computer and yes that was back in 95. We had 5 switches one each for the Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Internet(Phone Modem), and 13" CRT Color Monitor. You would be plugging along on one system and have to wait for 30 minutes to an hour for something and switch to the other. Here we are 20 years later and before I go spending good money I want to make sure it is money well spent.

Thing I am seeing is most support a Keyboard and mouse, but not a 3D Mouse. If I cannot support the 3D Mouse then it is not really worth doing since I am programming on both systems.

How you doing this if you currently are doing this?

What product do you recommend?

What have been some of the issues with doing this?

Thanks for any suggestion or recommendation I appreciate any and all feedback. Have a great day.

• Like 1

One has stuff that is not allowed near the internet. The other does not have that kind of stuff. I have to follow certain protocols and procedures with the one system that I don't have to follow with the other. Kind of work I am doing and how it is working out has made this happen. It is getting the job down and keeping the customer happy, but was just looking for an opinion if anyone had one.

I used this one for 1 good 6 months as we were transitioning to 64 bit systems:

http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/2-Port-Dual-DVI-USB-KVM-Switch-with-Audio-20-Hub~SV231DD2DUA

Not cheap but even worked with the mastercam dongle, and the wireless mouse / keyboard.

Karl

Thanks I knew that had to be a good solution out there. That is cheap compared to the time I am wasting going back and forth between 2 systems.

For the systems I am using this is what I am going to order. Once I get everything all setup I will let everyone know how it turned out.

http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/2-Port-Dual-DisplayPort-USB-KVM-Switch-with-Audio-and-USB-20-Hub~SV231DPDDUA

Edited by 5th Axis Consulting

Thanks I didn't even think to check on Amazon to get it. Saving $106 for the same thing is great and get it here tomorrow not Wednesday.

With all the cables needed it is like wrestling a greased octopus to hook everything up. Also it does NOT come with all the needed cables.

Karl, yes I figured that. I already have a lot of what I need, but I went ahead and bought 4 Display to HDMI Cables to go along with it. That will eliminate the need for adapters at each HDMI end.

One System is 2 Display Ports and the other is One Display Port and HDMI. One System will be 2 Display Post to 2 KVM Display ports. The other System will be Display Post to KVM Display Port and HDMI to KVM Display Port. Then 2 KVM Display ports to 2 HDMI Monitors for both system. Will lesson all the cables and clutter I got running now. Luckily I have 2 different color mouse. One is grey and the other is black sharing one mouse pad and I still grab the wrong one from time to time. It will be nice have my Wireless Pro 3D Mouse for both systems.

Thanks Karl!  Although Ron started this I was having exactly the same search issues last week.  You all may think it is crazy, but I was the most productive ever using two complete different systems, now I have two guys trying it.  Thus the issue and need for the KVM.  Still in test mode but I think it will be a boost for them.

I have a similar setup to 5th axis'. 2x HP Z1 g2's. For my USB switch I use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECOM-USB-switcher-with-hand-switch-7-Port-Black-U2SW-B27SBK-/121786342110?hash=item1c5b081ade:g:3GQAAOSwAYtWHHpP

It works great. I got mine on Amazon for less than half. As for monitors, the HP Z1 G2's have a great feature that allow you to switch from one pc to the other with a simple keystroke. Let's say you have 1 HP on the left and one on the right. You can set these up in a dual monitor configuration. When you are on the 27" HP on the left, the right acts as a secondary 27" monitor. Switch pc's with the 7port elecom switch, then hit the key stroke and then you are working on the right HP with the left acting as a dual monitor for that. You can also add other monitors. Put a 34" 21:9 in the middle, should you like :)

The only downside is sometimes it may take upto 30 seconds for the PC to recognize the USB switching. 

I have a Spacepilot pro, keyboard, trackball hooked into the elecom. I also have a USB flash drive plugged into it which makes transferring files from one HP to the other a breeze.

You could also get a second elecom and daisy chain 3 pc's (and so on) if you are greedy.

The Startech Switch is working out great expect for the HDMI monitors. The Tower with the Display Ports was no problem, but the laptop with one HDMI and one Display Port going into the KVM Switch not so much. It switches and is going good in a couple seconds for all the USB devices. I have the 3DConnection Mouse on both systems and one keyboard and wireless mouse so that is making life easier. I get some time to dig into trying daisy chain the 2 monitors from the Display port I will report back if that worked. So swamped right now just happy to have one keyboard, mouse and 3D mouse for 2 systems. My wife and kids think I am crazy jumping back and forth all days and keeping it straight in my head, but like anything you do it enough and adjust as needed.