Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

carmex threadmill

Tim Pruett

I'm wanting to thread mill some 1/4 18  and 3/8 18 npt holes in p20 for coolant lines and baffles. Would a carmex thread mill # mt3312c06 18npt work ok? I'm worried it may not go deep enough. according to the info on their web site it only goes .58 deep. I have very little experience thread milling. tia

Sounds to me like you're doing a sort of custom thread, in which case you'll probably not be able to use a standard tool. Unless you either a ) counterbore the thread to below the surface or b ) grind relief on the threadmill, once you get past the LOC on the mill you'll be rubbing the shank and wiping out your threads.

That's a nice app :)

yes it is

I recently used it for guidance doing 4-40 x .375" deep threads in titanium

The holes were up against the walls of a 2.5" deep pocket and required a 20" Capto

stack to reach the part.

Much to my surprise, it worked like a charm.

I'd been sweating those holes for months and the actual machining was so routine it was boring :laughing:

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the carmex thread mill listed above has taper. When I use their app "taper" is not checked. I'm assuming it does even though it's not checked.

Also, is the speed and feed I get from their app for one pass, if so, could I feed a littler faster if I'm cutting the thread in 4 passes?

Carmex NPT thread mills are tapered

I use the bottom diameter to define the tool in Mastercam

I used to use a simple endmill definition for NPT thread mills

but the new thread mill tool in X9 works well so I am slowly changing my thread mill libraries over to the new thread mill tool definition

The Carmex app gives really good feedrates.

We normally calculate feed rates to the center of the tool

When you cut  the inside of an arc this can result in a chip load that is much too high

The Carmex app calculates the correct C/L feed rate then adjusts it so that the feed per tooth

is correct where the tool contacts the ID of the hole

If you want to calculate this yourself, the formula is

Ajusted Feed Rate =  Feed rate x ( (Hole Ø - Thread mill Ø)/Hole Ø))