Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis COR

Mic6

Is the plane known as "Angled Holes" your custom WCS?

If this is running in a VMC that would indicate you're rotating around the X axis.

Working from the "Angled Holes" WCS in the part file from the post #1 the X,Y,Z orientation of your planes is more akin to the Mcam "TOP"

If you're using the custom WCS the reason for the rotation errors is that the X axis 90deg out of alignment with the custom WCS.

Shoot, sorry about the confusion.  I didn't delete enough of the junk.  I'm only using the "HOLES" in the plane manager/  "Angled Holes" was created with a custom WCS.  I scrapped all that and moved the entire thing to "TOP"   SInce that file, all my "HOLE" planes are now on COR.

I updated the sample file to be exactly what I have now.

I am checking out the file now..

Your holes are 5 Axis holes.. not by much but that is your problem..

Looks like your holes are angled around Y by about .17 degrees  - some less than that.. but that's the issue..

Yeah, that would cause a rotation error for a VMC.

:crazy:

So focused on the X axis missed that rotation around Y

G20

G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

G0 G28 G91 Z0.

(1/2 SPOTDRILL|TOOL - 1|DIA. OFF. - 1|LEN. - 1| DIA. - .5)

M11

M13

T1 M6

G0 G54 G90 X-5.9795 Y.0002 B0. A0. S534 M3

M10

M12

G43 H1 Z2.3917 M8

G81 G99 Z1.8917 R2.3917 F1.07

G80

Z2.4014

X-5.9388 Y3.0269

M11

M13

B.767 A2.656 <<< location for hole #2

M10

M12

G81 G99 Z2.0438 R2.4014 F1.07

G80

I just went over this with engineering which originally told us it was a radius, when if fact it is a conic, so yea.  He's kind of worried now and wants to go check how he created the model.  In the meantime, to "fix" this and eliminate the Y rotation, can I draw a fixed axis line with only 1 angle of tilt at the 0° hole, create a plane, then rotate that plane accordingly for the rest of the holes so I only rotate around X?

Just ANOTHER justification for a 5-axis I tell you!  :D

Thanks for all the eyes on this guys. I'd be stuck up to my neck if it wasn't for this forum.  I'll keep this thread updated.

Yeah it followed the hole axis, I would say someone needs to determine if that angle in Y is req'd or not .. it seems like a very small amount, so depending on application the hole being straight in Y might still be within tolerance given the clearance on the through hole.. but as you say .. that's up to your engineering team to assess.

FYI - if you setup your options in your control definition, you can make it give post errors to a log file .. then you would have seen lines like follows..

The options are on the Files -> Mill tab at on the bottom left of the page..

19 Nov 2015 10:18:00 AM - RUN TIME -OPID(12)- Only single-axis rotation is allowed!  Angles may be incorrect.
19 Nov 2015 10:18:00 AM - RUN TIME -OPID(13)- Only single-axis rotation is allowed!  Angles may be incorrect.
19 Nov 2015 10:18:00 AM - RUN TIME -OPID(14)- Only single-axis rotation is allowed!  Angles may be incorrect.
19 Nov 2015 10:18:00 AM - RUN TIME -OPID(15)- Only single-axis rotation is allowed!  Angles may be incorrect.
19 Nov 2015 10:18:00 AM - RUN TIME -OPID(16)- Only single-axis rotation is allowed!  Angles may be incorrect.

This is what led me to diagnose the holes being angled around two axis's ..

You could use the dynamic rotation function in the planes manager to reset the X once Z has been established and the origin has been set to your center of rotation.

In the attached file I created a point on the X axis in the "Top" tplane, 12" from the origin, after I set the Z normal to the vector and resetting the origin I snapped the X axis to that point.

(I'm right clicking on an established plane in the planes manger to access dynamic rotation of an existing plane)

Posted with Gen Haas 4axis:

N100 G20
N110 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
N120 T1 M6
N130 G0 G90 G54 X-5.9795 Y.0002 A0. S534 M3
N140 G43 H1 Z2.3917
N150 M8
N160 G99 G81 Z1.8917 R2.3917 F1.1
N170 G80
N180 G55 X-5.98 Y2.9472 Z2.4014 A2.655
N190 G99 G81 Z2.0401 R2.4014 F1.1
N200 G80
N210 G56 X-5.9821 Y5.8944 Z2.3917 A5.311
N220 G99 G81 Z2.4673 R2.3917 F1.1
N230 G80

You could use the dynamic rotation function in the planes manager to reset the X once Z has been established and the origin has been set to your center of rotation.

In the attached file I created a point on the X axis in the "Top" tplane, 12" from the origin, after I set the Z normal to the vector and resetting the origin I snapped the X axis to that point.

(I'm right clicking on an established plane in the planes manger to access dynamic rotation of an existing plane)

How did you eliminate the Y rotation in the hole axis lines?  Did you have to manually analyze each hole angle?  Oh wait, I see you said Dynamic, so if I set my Hole 2 plane to the COR, I can then use right-click Dynamic Rotate to match the angle of the hole vector? Then just keep copying the plane and rotating and re-picking points to drill?

The way I setup rotated planes is to start with the first plane, in this case Mcam "TOP"

I then copy the plane in the planes manager

I right click on the copied plane and use the dynamic rotate.

Then you can use the dynamic gnomon the same as activating the dynamic planes utility, the only difference is I'm editing an existing plane.

I setup the Z axis normal to the vector, then send the gnomon back to the WCS origin to set the center of rotation.

The reason I'm using the reference point for X is to reset the rotation around Y that we were previously unaware of.

I am checking out the file now..

Your holes are 5 Axis holes.. not by much but that is your problem..

Looks like your holes are angled around Y by about .17 degrees  - some less than that.. but that's the issue..

This is where verisuf hole axis comes in real handy.

Even at the quote stage, click and get a (longish) centreline in your holes, then step through your top/front/side etc views and you can see very quickly if there's a compound hole in there.

At the old place the estimator got bit bad a few times thinking it was straight holes.....and the fact that they weren't totally transformed the cost of the part.

Edit: The quote was won and the PO was placed with us so it was too late to go back to the customer by then :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back at this again.  All planes are created and A-axis output looks good.  NOW, when I post my code for c'boring, holes 4 -9 (10 holes) don't post with a feedrate for the helix rough and I get an alarm.  This happens when posting OPs for holes 1-10.  If I post 4-10, the feedrate returns to  hole 4, but not the remaining.  All this work and now another roadblock.  UGGH  Any ideas why it would do this?

5 axis paths worked ok for me...

EDIT:  To make the cb's come out at the correct depth you might  have to group the points...I didn't check the depths.

this was just to see if the original axis lines would cause post error and to give example of 5-axis paths.

force tool change might be a quick work around.

not sure why the machine is alarming; it should use the last active, right?

Force toolchange works, thanks mkd.

Yea, feedrates should be modal, but I have no idea whats happening.  There's a G00 approach, then no feed on the helical moves.