Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Wood on Metal Lathe will damage machine?

Tomarik

Today I was told that I shouldn't cut wood on a metal lathe. Because the shavings absorb the oil and will become abrasive and wear the bed of the lathe down. Then the machine will become less accurate.

I'd never heard this before and it sounds like a reasonable statement. But I have yet to find credible information or an example of this actually happening. My search found many operators that have used a metal lathe to cut wood before and didn't experience any problems. I also found a few examples of users that acknowledge this concern.

Please help me get to the bottom of this. I've put my wood working projects on hold while I seek out information. I really look forward to hearing others input on this topic.

I have been told that wood chips can clog coolant filters and coolant pumps pretty bad. Obviously we wouldn't be cutting wood on the lathe with coolant but you may want to watch out for wood chips and or take the vacuum recommendation that someone else had.

as stated clean up and re oil when procedure is done 

I have machined materials that are a lot for abrasive on the ways then wood , Induction hardened super chrome is one material , the chrome is murder on ways , same could be said for cast iron , the dust from that gets into every little spot , contaminates the coolant etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll definitely make sure to keep the machine clean after running a part. But I don't have a way to get a fan or vacuum in the machine to remove the dust. It's a leadwell cnc that's enclosed, so there isn't anywhere to run a hose or setup a box fan.

I didn't think it would be a problem but I wanted to ask around before I accidently damage our companies lathe. Like Mike@Lustre mentioned, I've run lot's of induction hardened metals on the machine, but I was worried that because the wood makes dust rather than chips that it may get into the bed.

I contacted our Leadwell distributor to inquire what they have to say on the topic. Also been trying to get in contact with some mechanical engineering instructors to find out their take on the matter.

M1ight also want to lay something on the chip conveyer if it has one....I always just jumpered the door switch and made a hole in a piece of cardboard to put the 2" hose through. that way you could still keep the doors almost closed and the cardboard would fill in the gap when I did wood, graphite or any material that would cause dust like that even plastic.

You will be surprized how much a 2" hose can suck up using a little wet/dry vac.  I always just held the nozzle through the hole where the tool was throwing the chips...suck 90% of them up.