Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura HMC vs Makino HMC?

Bob W.

Only the Hplus 400 and 500 are Quaser built machines, the 300, 405 and 630 are still made in Japan.

I'd say the Matsuura spindle is about as stout as it gets, These are long life reliable spindles (not uncommon to go over 30,000hrs).

I've never heard of tool matrix problems on any of the Matsuura machines, ours our dead reliable, and so are eveyone elses I know, and that is ranging from the original MAM 1S all the way to the latest horizontals and MAM72's. The Matsuura has really large matrix capacity, I think 40 taper goes up to 520?

The physical size of the Matsuura machines are usually quite a bit smaller then then anything else in their class.

If you go with the 20k spindle I think you get a spindle cooler, or have they gone grease on those now?

Things I like about the Makino hmc over the Matsuura:

-Makino has hands down the best Z axis system on the market, this is an all encompassing statement ranging from the ballscrew layout, the single piece Z axis covers, and the way the covers are sloped so that the chips go straight into the conveyor.

-Makino has a really robost tool change arm, and I love that their tool matrix system keeps the tool tapers covered. The matsuuras, and most other brands leave the tapers exposed, which leads to coolant mist sitting on the tapers which then attracts other things to stick to them.

-The entire interior of the machine is well thought out and designed to not have chips pile up and cause problems.

I personally think the Makino is a more refined design, and they have really taken a lot of real world production experience and put it into the design of their machines.

I guess you guys are lucky!!! I really like CAMplete and Siemens control. Nothing like good ol' Optimize Tool path Linearization. If Bob was looking for a 5axis and not a Hori, I would say matsuura hands down just because of CAMplete.