Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CUSTOM TOOL

HEAVY METAL

I have read two different ways to define a custom tool in this form. one says to define the x value as 1 inch the other says to define 1/2 the actual dia value of the tool. which is the proper way. what i.m trying to define is a key cutter that has been modified . orginally it had a 45 deg angle top and bottom that tapered to sharp point to get a 90 deg groove. now the part calls for a flat of .03 on bottom of groove. so the tool is ground accordingly. i want to be able to define this properly to i can back plot it. but it does not seem to look right on back plot.

thanks heavy

I believe you define 1/2 of the tool with the Y axis being the centerline of the tool. The X axis (or Y0) would be the end of the non cutting end of the tool. This would make everything drawn in X+ Y-. Do a search for custom tool. Someone just described this in detail within the past week, I think.

BTW, I don't think backplot will show you much. Do you mean verify?

Thad