Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Stainless Steel Tapping

CNCGUY

My bad, this is a lathe app. no thread milling here.

We are using Besly and VT taps.

quote:

we use stagger tooth pipe taps and have pretty good life with them.

Thats where I was headed next.

quote:

420ss @ 200rpm

Maybe we should try bumping it up a little higher.

edit

quote:

1/4 npt is a decent sized tap to be breaking. How do you know you are reaming deep enough?

We have gages to gheck taper depth and threads.

[ 12-29-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: CNCGUY ]

Right now we have it working, doing peck tap. We are going to get some stagger tooth taps to try.

quote:

I usually bore the hole for a pipe tap when on the lathe.

That idea was also tossed around a bit.

Thanks for the help guys, as always good suggestions to try. biggrin.gif

Ok then I would turn the crap out of them threads with a cabide Mini Threading Bar. Should be getting about 100 parts a corner. Internal Tool Makes the Holder and the Inserts will have to call your local dealer to get a number my book doesn't have one. Not sure fi they make a full proifle or not but if not still a breeze.

Crazy Millman

[ 12-29-2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

quote:

Is there a reason you have to use a reamer?

The tap drill w/o reamer is 7/16, in the past i have even went up to .453 in stainless to ease stress on tap.

These are hydraulic fittings and need to be mfg. per SAE stds. 11mm max drill.

quote:

Ok then I would turn the crap out of them threads with a cabide Mini Threading Bar

Thanks for the tip. I will check into that.

I definitely think Ron's on the right track if this is something you're going to make repetitively. Internal Tool makes a good product but I think I'd look at Circle for somthing like this personally.

I'd definitely turn vs. ream and thread vs. tap in this application

C

Well if doing SAE fittings then I would most definity turn the bores and create my port areas and chamfers for the O-rings. I dont think Circle makes an internal thread tool they make good boring bars just very proud of them is all Internal is about half price and just as good.

I would also look at Chamdrill to drill out the rough hole will take about 12 sec to pop a hole and get the ones wit hthru the spindle. I hear you compaling right now about the thru not a problem. Get some copper tubing and bend it to your liking it is a little pain to get set-up but once you do can fly like the wind.

Crazy Millman teh Crazy Lathe Guy also

[ 12-29-2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

try p.h.horn for micro boring & threading tools if your going to single point your threads. What type of coolant are you using? For small quantities i'll put in a program stop and use a sulphurized cutting oil or for especially tough apps. i'll mix it with a parafin based cutting fluid called safety draw made by Castrol. increases my tap life tremendously in gummy materials. smile.gif

quote:

I dont think Circle makes an internal thread tool

They do, indeed

quote:

I'll put in a program stop and use a sulphurized cutting oil

Cutting oils are a coolant killer; I'd stay away from that if at all possible

Let us know what works out Troy

C

[ 12-30-2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Most cutting fluids have some sort of "tapping" "fluid" that can be used without causing too much trouble with the coolant. I used the term "fluid" alone because some of tapping fluids are almost gel like that the different coolant mfg's recommend. Work with your coolant supplier. Chances are having a stronger mixture of coolant will help trmendously and eliminate the need for tapping fluids. Single pointing is a great way to go, but if you are not using interupted thread taps just making the transition to one will more than likely cure your problems. Regardless of mfg most pipe taps are designed as hand taps requiring the back and forth motion to clear chips.

HTH

quote:

Cutting oils are a coolant killer; I'd stay away from that if at all possible

Chris, you're absolutely right, I should have expanded on that with "if all else fails" redface.gif they're also messy to work with, especially the parafin based stuff i mentioned. it is very "sticky" and a pain in the a$$ to clean out of holes but I haven't found anything better at extending tap life especially in refractory metals and h.s.s. like M3-2 or CPM-M4. there is definately a trade off though. I haven't used any of the "fluids" that are compatible with coolants though, maybe there is something else that will work as well. I will definately be looking into that.

For tapping in stainless steel Butterfield tapping fluid is simply,truley amazing.I have seen dull 6-32 taps in bridgeport that won't go....will tap with butterfield. Plastic bottle says Union Butterfield. Asheville,NC. I buy mine from E.M Wick co. Dayton, Ohio 937-293-5330. This stuff is sooo good it blows my mind. Its cheap also.