Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas ST10Y Lathe code

Stephen

Hi,

I just got a Haas ST10Y up and running and need some help on a few things. I've tried using the generic Haas ST 4X MT_Lathe and generic Haas SL 4X_Lathe posts. I was told to use these posts. The big difference is the ST outputs G53 X0 Z0 and the SL outputs G28 U0. V0. Z0. Which is better?

As an instructor I want to make operating the machine as bullet proof as I can with students as to limit disasters on the shop floor. Is the following a post or MC programming issue?:

1. If a student accidentally jogs the Y axis off zero I noticed the machine will start a new program without first making sure ALL axis' are returned to zero. Just Z and X start at zero. How do I fix this? Obviosuly having the Y off zero will cause the tool to not cut on the center-line of the part for regular lathe cutting tools.
  2. The end of the program posts G28 U0. V0. W0. This causes an error so I had to delete V0. to make the program work.
  3. When I use Misc. Ops, stock flip and add a manual entry M0 the code does not post any spindle on or feedrate commands.

Any help would be appreciated,

Steve

Sorry, I havn't had a chance to play with the Haas lathe with a y axis. I would imagine it would have to look for a few key things.

When you set your tool offsets is there a field that sets the height of the y axis?

If so then the safest way of calling up a new tool would be T0101 then the next line after that would be Y0.- this will then look to the tool table and set the height of the tool correctly.

The problem I see about the V0. code fall under the same problem. G28 is calling up a home position relative to machine home and not axis middle. I imagine that from the centerline you can move the machine in x+ and x-. So you want it to be centered and not homed. Imagine it like this, you have a 20" x axis and at home position you move the x to x0. and moved all the way to the other side is X-20. Neither one is a good position to change out your part. So the best position is x-10. and that will center up your part to the center of travel. With that in mind then a g53 y-10. would be an appropriate spot that could be used as a home position.

Sorry I have never really used manual entry. I don't know how to help you with that one.

in your post you need to have the machine home out in the beginning of the program, to prevent index close to part or into part, but you should be programming in absolute so moving machine off home should not matter to ware it is cutting.

there should be a parameter to only let the machine index at home or at a given spot to index. that would be better for mdi mode and you wont have to change your post.

I used to train lathe operators to program home positions using G30 instead of G28 at the beginning & end of each tool. The G30 home position can be set at the machine so that the turret doesn't have to travel all the way home in order to index. On short parts the G30 Z-axis setting may have a value of -250mm. Typically we would have no shift from home position in the X-axis however if you're chasing cycle time you always have that option to reduce the time to index. Also be sure to home U & V first and then W on the next line to prevent collisions with the tailstock or sub-spindle. Furthermore using G30 in your programs allow a more portable program, taking a program from a short bed length machine to a long bed machine, the cycle time is essentially the same.

good luck!

Len Dye