Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Variable radius fillet problem

SlaveCam

We use this feature a lot.

The problem is that when selecting two fillet points dynamically, for example, one point for R0.5 and another for R3, there could be auto-generated points between these user points which reset the transition. Is there any way to overcome this problem without having to assing some "good-looking" number between 0.5 and 3 to these points?

Also, it seems there's a bug which prevents me from selecting the edge of a solid when using top view (or any other main view), clicking the edge does absolutely nothing. Rotating the view even so slightly solves the problem.

What I would do is create points on the feature I wanted to do a variable fillet on if I wanted an even space of points to work from. An extra step, but allows you get control of the process you are looking for. I have seen the same thing with picking edges sometimes. A 3D mouse makes it really easy to move it and pick.

I have never ever ever even once used this. If you can share a file I'd like to see the application of it.

I use variable fillets on 3-d models with draft for molds.

Lets say that you are adding draft to a part that has to be molded....all the corner fillets are .25 on an irregular part.  If you put a .250 radius on the edge of a drafted part it will add extra stock and make the corner weaker in forging applications lets say...and so I will use a variable fillet in these areas to keep the work envelope the same whenever I cannot include the radii in the draft....

It is also a way of blending on fillets where the normal way will remove areas you want to keep, or not blend into transition areas.....my favorite use is to have the start or beginning set to zero.

Many many uses in the mold section of Manufacturing... 

Have to have a start and end point no way around that.

Yeah. But I've got another question which I may have already asked before long ago (forgive me if so)...

Variable radius fillet is used for the edge between two intersecting/trimmed curved surfaces. When we get the solid from a client, the edge will appear in Mastercam as one: "Create curve for single edge" -feature will create a single spline of the edge. However, when we have to do the modeling ourself using Mastercam (draw two profiles, no matter if splines or lines&arcs, create sweep surfaces and then trim them to each other etc.) the edge will never appear as a single edge but as a series of edges after the surfaces are converted to a solid. Our client uses Solidworks for modeling.

I'd like to know the explanation for this disparency.

Yeah. But I've got another question which I may have already asked before long ago (forgive me if so)...

Variable radius fillet is used for the edge between two intersecting/trimmed curved surfaces. When we get the solid from a client, the edge will appear in Mastercam as one: "Create curve for single edge" -feature will create a single spline of the edge. However, when we have to do the modeling ourself using Mastercam (draw two profiles, no matter if splines or lines&arcs, create sweep surfaces and then trim them to each other etc.) the edge will never appear as a single edge but as a series of edges after the surfaces are converted to a solid. Our client uses Solidworks for modeling.

I'd like to know the explanation for this disparency.

It is the way Mastercam does it....

Every software package has to do things differently from the other one or they couldn't sell their product.

Personally I like the way Mastercam has more control breaks.

In Solidworks, on some their solids, if you unshade them you cant tell squat about the feature...

However, a single edge makes the use of variable radius fillet trouble-free as far as dynamic custom points are concerned. A little feature request: how about when entering -1 as the corner radius, the program would automatically calculate the appropriate radius using the previous and next point?

However, a single edge makes the use of variable radius fillet trouble-free as far as dynamic custom points are concerned. A little feature request: how about when entering -1 as the corner radius, the program would automatically calculate the appropriate radius using the previous and next point?

Sounds great, send it in to CNC Software!

• Like 1

Here is an example of how you can use Variable Fillet Radius.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rus6l80p6x79h67/5th%20Axis%20RIPPLE%20BOWL.mcx-9?dl=0

Interesting... whatever it is  :)

Here's a concrete example of the problem (attachment). The radius at the start of the edge should be 1 and 5 at the end. There is no easy way to do this...

TEST2.zip

Sounds great, send it in to CNC Software!

Thanks but I don't think it is very high on their priority list since nobody rarely seems to ever use it... Of course the -1 suggestion would work only if the value stayed -1 after inputting, as if -1 = ignore this radius. If the program calculated it immediately and changed the radius to the calculated value, that would create another layer of problems :laughing: