Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T job shops

Robby GM

I like most of you in this forum (I assume) love manufacturing and machining (and of course mastercam ).

I hate to be pessimistic but most manufacturing that requires a large workforce will be shipped overseas. It is like trying to hold back the tide.

The industrial revolution also inevatibly has created better machines, faster machines, and with the advent of CNC 'self-running' machines. Therefore less people though highly skilled running more pieces of equipment.

Another component is future toolmakers. I frequently visit the technical schools in our area. Many of the facilities are state-of-the-art. The latest softwares sometime many different ones. Mastercam, Gibbs, Esprit, Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor. Brand new machines: Haas Mori-Seiki Bridgeports, Daweoos etc. The schools are having a hell of time filling the classes - or even half-filling the classes. This does not bode well.

Manufacturing like mining and farming are core industries. The quality of our day to day lives is dependent on these core industries - yet again I believe that specialization in fields like: leisure,entertainment,medical advances,pharmaceuticals, agriculture, improved energy efficiency and of course defence are future directions for utilization of manufacturing know-how.

Tony, I heard that from a China-man that I used to work with. He said that you can simply walk into one of their corner markets(tech store) and buy it off a shelf. Granted, this has been a few years ago since I last talked with him. Surely things have changed, rolleyes.gif .

On another note, he also used to tell me that from early youth, he was brain-washed into believing that someday the Chinese will take over the world. Breed, breed, breed for military. He also told of other very interesting things/facts. Maybe he was just trying to scare me, but it was hard to really tell his facial expressions between all the tears most of the time when he would share his experiences.

Once again, I am sure things have changed. rolleyes.gif

[ 01-03-2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Trevor, from Barefoot CNC ]

quote:

Once again, I am sure things have changed

The mindset of the people in charge has not changed a bit. Through massive R&D programs and espionage they are rapidly building themselves into a superpower. Our grandchildren will have

serious problems with China.

They already have the power to completely destroy our tech industries. I challenge anyone to go out and build a computer with American made components only. You couldn't do it at any price.

American made components don't exist. Imagine a technology embargo like OPEC did to us with oil in the early 70's. No computers, DVD players TV's

chips for car computers, spare parts for our communications networks etc.

Our economy can no longer function without this stuff and we import all of it.

i lost my job at Honeywell after 23 years. I worked at Garrett turbo which was bougth by Honeywell. In 2002 they moved the Turbo plant from Torrance to Mexicali and laid off 600 people. I have been real lucky and found a job. My new employer ( a under 50 people shop ) says its the Cal gov driving shops out of cal. He says Workers comp has gone up over 200% and then you add the medical. I dont think the workers have as much to do with the other countries as we think. I think it is the USA gov killing us!

The California legislature is dominated by

ultra-liberal Democrats would believe that all businesses are evil exploiters. These legislators

are bought and paid for by trial lawyers and medical lobbies.

Over the last decade they have crafted a set

of laws that make running a business in California

very difficult.

The current workers comp system

was built to enrich trial lawyers and medical

providers.

Under current standards an injury or disability need only be 5% work related to qualify for workers comp and lifetime disablity

benifits. To be disabled you only have to find one doctor who says you are disabled.

I could blow my kneee out skiing, find one doctor

who says the concrete floors at work make it worse

and collect disability for the rest of my life.

A whole new batch of laws took effect on 1/1/04 making things even worse.

My wife is responsible for worker comp/human resourses for about 300 people. At any given time

she has a dozen workers comp claims going.

She knows they are scams and everyone involved know

they are scams, but she wins about 1 in 5.

Its really surprising California has any business left at all.

Hi All!

-------------------------------------------------

Under normal circumstances I am not a conspiracy theorist, but the whole China thing just makes me wonder if they are trying to destroy our Mfg. infrastructure so they can take over the world militarily.

---------------------------------------------

Of course they do! This is the clear like a glass.

I read our newspapers, look like we give up already. Our economists call this centaury as Asian. . Go in store (even not so chip, like a Sears ) everything MADE in China.

Even our best brands. What happened? Our governments won’t make from us and our kids servants. But somebody have to make money to be served by another’s. Isn’t it .

So what all of us would be wait when somebody from China or India comes here to be served, or what?

Looks something wrong to me. This is like a cancer. Goes deeper and deeper all the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chips for car computers, spare parts for our communications networks etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks something wrong to me. This is like a cancer. Goes deeper and deeper all the time.

Our government – this is real problem. Because government has to STOP it.

This is my opinion .

quote:

Yes it would, because no we don't. We're not to that point yet. It would be an eye-opening disaster for sure, but not detrimental.

Besides, the world economy would be severly damaged if nobody took the all-mighty US dollar... wink.gif

'Rekd teh .02

quote:

My dad went to Singapore a few years ago and told me that you could buy CD's chocked full of every program that was ever made for $5 each.

My neigbor, a flight attendant for United who speaks two or three Asian dialects and flies the eastern routes, brings all the latest DVD movies back from the orient at less than a dollar a piece -many before they are rleased for rent here in the States. But sometimes the sound is dubbed sligtly off from the action or they are skippy or freeze up occasionally -very frustrating to watch sometimes.

You get what you pay for... wink.gif