Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter comp dropdown

jeff

Just throwing out ideas here since I've never used reverse wear and don't know what code gets generated from it. Does reverse wear output a G42 instead of a G41? If so, do you *never* use G42? If so, perhaps a post edit can be made to throw an alert window if a G42 is detected in your code.

I've practically eliminated the possibility of this happening to me through my programming process. As you may have heard me say here many times, I import almost all of my operations from a library. Once they're imported, I may copy and re-use them inside my file, but I NEVER start a contour or pocket toolpath from scratch. My finish operations use Wear and my ruffing use Computer, so I very rarely need to even look at that setting, therefore I can't select the wrong option. The rare occurrence where I would mess it up is when I want to use Off to drive down the center of the geometry. This is a rare circumstance and stands out so much to me that I'm very conscience of the change that I'm about to make to the toolpath when selecting Off.

Besides those two possibilities, as JP said, a .dll hack would likely work...but that would violate the EULA. ;)

• Like 1

Just throwing out ideas here since I've never used reverse wear and don't know what code gets generated from it. Does reverse wear output a G42 instead of a G41? If so, do you *never* use G42? If so, perhaps a post edit can be made to throw an alert window if a G42 is detected in your code.

I've practically eliminated the possibility of this happening to me through my programming process. As you may have heard me say here many times, I import almost all of my operations from a library. Once they're imported, I may copy and re-use them inside my file, but I NEVER start a contour or pocket toolpath from scratch. My finish operations use Wear and my ruffing use Computer, so I very rarely need to even look at that setting, therefore I can't select the wrong option. The rare occurrence where I would mess it up is when I want to use Off to drive down the center of the geometry. This is a rare circumstance and stands out so much to me that I'm very conscience of the change that I'm about to make to the toolpath when selecting Off.

Besides those two possibilities, as JP said, a .dll hack would likely work...but that would violate the EULA. ;)

Perhaps you could code a tiny program that keeps polling the application and when this particular ComboBox comes up, it will throw an alert if the user has chosen anything other than Computer, Control, and Off? :)

You can modify your posts by reading a parameter and check if a correct compensation is selected. If not it can display a message to inform you and/or stop post-processing. I had to do it because some machines in my shop are wear programmed and others are control... and even if 99% time my programs are near perfection... I know one which scrapped a pretty big cast part and blew a brand new 25mm carbide cutter :blushing:

• Like 1

this might be worth a survey: How many controls out there today can take a G42 but NOT a G41 with a negative value?

G42 has been redundant in my experience since circa 1995.

at he very least we could implement a switch in a machine def.

That's actually not a bad idea!

Something to keep in mind...when I have a hole that needs to be as round as possible, I comp it left, then comp it right. C'mon, I'm running a Haas. ;)  If you do this too, then you may want to have the post throw an alert where you have to press OK to continue, but not stop the actual posting process. If you stop the posting process altogether, you'll never be able to post a G42, even when you need it. That probably went without saying though.

• Like 1