Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inconel 718 tooling cost per minute

i like the thinking of simplifying the quoting process. Obvious problem is machining speed is inversely proportionate to tooling costs. e.i. the faster you go the faster the tools wear. It would be nice to figure a base cost using optimal speeds and feeds. i don't have the experience, personally.

i know a guy that gets thousand of holes with solid carbide drills.

sorry, just rambling a bit.

I really think it comes down to the part. I have taken parts that were 100 hours running that way for a couple years and trimmed them down to 10 hours. I have taken other parts that were 8 setups and 60 hours and trimmed them down to one setup on a Mill/Turn and 10 hours. Take original cost and compare to new cost do you base it off the original time or the improved time? I think you are not taking a lot of factors into account.

$1/ minute only means a $60/hr shop rate. I think you will burn up more in tools than that. What is the qty of parts? How much tooling will it take? I have programmed parts where we swapped out $1000 of tools per part. Run time like I said went from 60 hours to 10 hours and the shop rate was over $200/hr so the 50 hours of savings per part offset the $350 to $1000 per part tooling cost.

Inconel can be cut and you can use dynamic toolpaths on it, but have to use the right tools and methods for doing so.

• Like 1

I have taken parts that were 100 hours running that way for a couple years and trimmed them down to 10 hours. I have taken other parts that were 8 setups and 60 hours and trimmed them down to one setup on a Mill/Turn and 10 hours.

Ron if you have anything you can share I'd love to see some examples of this work. I'm always looking to learn!

Ron if you have anything you can share I'd love to see some examples of this work. I'm always looking to learn!

Sorry we am under NDA and it is considered intellectual property of our customer. That is about as much as I can share. Trust me I would love to share what we are doing, but we are not allowed to.

• Like 1

What the back is that starting at 7:50? Is that a drill or boring bar?

It´s an ejector drill. Notice the metallic coolant hose attached to the prismatic holder... 8:04'

We have 3 of these beasts here.. all bells and whistles... hard to say which one I like the most... M80, M120 or M150...