Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Aluminum and Thermwood CNC Routers

David Eno

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has cut aluminum thermoforming molds (or any other 3D shapes) on a 3-axis Thermwood CNC router.

Are these machines rigid enough to successfully produce a complex shape out of aluminum? If so, how light of a cut has to be taken?

Is the control able to process 3-axis moves fast enough to create smooth motion?

Thank you for your input.

Dave

I have cut a couple of things here on our 3 axis. the problems i had was mounting the work rigid enough, and not having the proper tooling to cut al. with a 18000 rpm spindle with little torque on the low end. also the spindle is not mounter rigid. as far as the controler It is great for

3-D patterns. I would say you would be pushing it to try to cut al. molds on one.

Tisk tisk

You should have bought a medium duty Quintax

I cut aluminum all the time with ours.

I use std aluminum specific milling cutters

I use a boelube mist cooling sprayer

I can (depending on tool length) make .100 to .150" deep cuts with up to a 3/4" dia cutter at 15,000 to 18,000 RPM on our 12 HP 40 taper spindle.

By the way Quintax also makes a HEAVY Duty model that can have a 40 HP 30,000 RPM spindle....

that will make the chips fly... you think??

I have done some 3D engraving on a Thermwood recently. It worked fine in MDF. The controller handled the code no problem. I am not sure how well it would cut metal. I suppose the best way to find out is to go to your Thermwood dealer with a block of aluminum and see for yourself.

Peter

now that I stopped rolling on the floor...

Let me know if one of you guys do take a block of aluminum to thermwood I want to see their face when you ask them...

I was at a trade show and stopped by the thermwood booth and grabbed a hold of the spindle nose and gave it a tug. the saleman in the booth about had a stroke..

It flexed around like a wet noodle....

David the 5 axis will cut it but I don't recommend having to do it. I am not sure about the 3 axis but guys I worked with said they use to cut 2d stuff all the tiem with a 3 axis machine no problem in G-10 which is not has tuff but pretty close. We just got a Modle 67 for cutting plastic, Ren-shap and expoy materials. I made everyone understand that this machine is not for cutting aluminum on and that si what we got the other 6 VMC's for. Are far as the controller if it is the super controller 91000 it should kick but.

Crazy Millman

David,

I have cut some aluminum thermoforming tools using the Thermwood Model 40 Turret 3-axis machine. I had to use about a .050 DOC with a 9hp motor and there was just not enough torque. We also have laminate table tops and rely on vacuum to secure the stock which did not work well. All things considered the machine will probably cut the tools for you, but I do not think you will be happy with the results. If you decide to try cutting the tools I would be very interested in your results.