Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Open Pocket, why isnt this easier?

slougee

We can argue which one is better software for days and I for one could argue both sides.

This is not very hard in either software and there is a lot more than one way to skin this cat.

We're all adults and almost all guys (the most logical and objective one here is a CamGal)... check your feelings at the log in and be objective. We're all here to help out and get better along the way.

Op, pm replied to. Lead us in the direction you want to go and then people can apply more specific help. Creating geo on a solid is very easy in mcam.

We already got that, its called the In-House Out-House. :coffee:

Yeah, but who's gonna stand at the door and make sure that you're an In-House Out-House user and not some creepy Out-House In-House user? Huh? Betcha didn't think of that now, didja Rickstrap?!? :scooter:

Without opening a huge can of Esprit vs Mastercam....

Mastercam really needs to up its game on toolpath creation from solids. Nobody wants to draw additional geometry just to get a toolpath outside of an 'open' edge. CAM software should be able to do this, and Esprit does (I'm sure there are others that do as well). 

That being said though, could you not just use a 2D HST so you get the good chaining options but use an area mill path?

see my example, no extra creation , just smart solid face selection.

see my example, no extra creation , just smart solid face selection.

Only issue I see is that the steps are not getting cut to 0 stock in Z. Not sure if this is just a bug or if this behavior is intentional...I did have a similar issue with my suggestion of 2D HST with Area mill as well....no matter the settings used I could not get all faces to cut to 0 stock in Z in one op.

Like I said in my original post...I'm not getting into whether Esprit is better than Mastercam, or if Gibbs is better than Mastercam, or if Fusion360 is better than Mastercam...I merely stated that I've used features in software's other than Mastercam and that they improve workflow and if Mastercam was to implement some of these it may actually make your life easier. Some really got offended for some reason...

Only issue I see is that the steps are not getting cut to 0 stock in Z. Not sure if this is just a bug or if this behavior is intentional...I did have a similar issue with my suggestion of 2D HST with Area mill as well....no matter the settings used I could not get all faces to cut to 0 stock in Z in one op.

Like I said in my original post...I'm not getting into whether Esprit is better than Mastercam, or if Gibbs is better than Mastercam, or if Fusion360 is better than Mastercam...I merely stated that I've used features in software's other than Mastercam and that they improve workflow and if Mastercam was to implement some of these it may actually make your life easier. Some really got offended for some reason...

Good spotting Goooose, hadn't picked the depth issue as I just did a quick and dirty toolpath as I would approach it.

Can't get full depth either , weird !

Totally agree that MC has some catching up in certain areas and I would especially like to see it become more stock aware like a lot of other software, especially now that a lot of the programming is done straight from solid models.