Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem with SAVING TOOL GEOMETRY

Camelot

hey camelot, i have not noticed what you are describing but i do have just a few suggestions. New to Mastercam 2017, if you want the exact tool profile (for custom tools, etc.) you can also go into the tool settings and there is a button when defining the tool called "save profile geometry to a level and link the level". What this does for you is saves the entire tool profile to a level that you can specify and Links to that level, what that means is you can either use the geometry for whatever you need, or better yet if you want to customize the tool profile you can simply make edits and automatically since its linked the tool geometry should instantly update. This is pretty cool and does not save all the extra geometry that the backplot save tool geo does.

If you were perhaps using that save tool geo for other purposes like seeing if the holder will clear the part, there is a new "edit tool projection" that can be done in Mastercam 2017 through the Mastercam mill tool manager. This function, new to 2017, lets you view your entire tool assembly against the model/part of fixture to make sure you have enough tool/holder clearance. So depending on your reasons to save the tool if you are mostly looking to compare the tool to your part that is very quick and easy and will let you snap the tool to auto-cursor positions. There is videos on Edit tool projection somewhere if you search it but all you need to do to use this function is right click on a mill tool inside the tool manager and hit edit tool projection.

To answer your initial question, I have not seen any difference between 2017's save tool geometry compared to X9 but with some of my suggestions above perhaps you will not need that as there may be easier ways. Hopefully this helps but if not perhaps elaborate a bit on your ultimate Goal or the problem a bit more in detail and we can try to dig deeper.

JoshC, Thanks for your input, but I'm aware of your suggestions.  I just wanted to let everyone and Mastercam know that this is an issue that still needs to be resolved. 

David, it is not fixed.  The defect you state is exactly what is still happening to us at my work.

• 5 weeks later...

Works on my created library?

Anyone else?

BTW James, your question has no relation to the topic...it would have been better in this case to start a new thread if you couldn't find the topic in a search

Copied from another thread;

Ah ha.  Thanks to In-house Solutions we have a ... well ... solution.

- Exit Mastercam

- Open the stand-alone Tool Manager (You can find this in the start menu under: All Programs, Mastercam 2017).

- Go to: File - Options - General.

- Deselect the "Enable auto-naming for assemblies, tools, and holders" option.

- It takes effect the next time you run Mastercam.

I tried it.  It works.

This worked for me.