Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to Horizontal Milling

No fancy dynamic offsets on this old girl. 

We are currently programming each face with it's own work coordinate. It's a pain, but it's kinda nice for getting used to things. The numbers the operator is seeing on the screen make sense and can be checked with the print.

I can see where programming from center of rotation will make us programmers job much easier.

No matter how it runs, at least it looks good now. We stripped all the front panels and doors off, beat the dents out, took them to car wash and cleaned them. Then we sent them to a local sign shop and had a vinyl wrap put on them. Here's Mutt and Jeff trying to remember how to put it back together...

IMAG2354_1_zpsitvjozzw.jpg

I have a coordinate rotation macro for Okuma horizontals that is similar to dynamic offsets. if you are interested shoot me a PM

I have a coordinate rotation macro for Okuma horizontals that is similar to dynamic offsets. if you are interested shoot me a PM

I appreciate the offer, I actually already found it in another thread on here. :thumbsup:

We are taking baby steps. Currently only loading a block on one side of our 4 sided tombstone and machining a part on 3 sides. What we have done, since our machine doesn't attach a B value to any work offset, is create a home position with the table rotated at B0, B90, and B270. We tell the operation on the set up sheet which side we're cutting, he MDIs, G30 P#, and then picks up the top and center of the part on each side. He knows where the center of rotation is, and has an Excel macro setup so he can pick up a part at B0 with his fancy 3D indicator, enter the machine coordinates in Excel, and it spits out machine coordinates for his B90 and B270 side. He still verifies with an indicator.

Yikes. You can modify your post so that the post calculates and writes your offsets in the control for you.

For the programmer, it feels like you are programming from COR. For the operator, they run it like they set an offset for each side themselves.

I could do that if I was using MC. But my kosher CAM software doesn't see fit to allow me to edit any post for anything over 3X.

I could do that if I was using MC. But my kosher CAM software doesn't see fit to allow me to edit any post for anything over 3X.

Out of curiosity: What post builder Cimatron is using these days?

15 years ago they used Intellipost if memory serves me correctly... Did they keep it?

No idea.

A 3X post has 3 parts. An .ex2 file, which is what you can edit. A .dx2, which is what comes out after you edit your .ex2 and hit the compile button. And a .df2 which is where you set things for machine specific codes, user defined variables, etc.

A 5X doesn't have an .ex2 file. Just the compiled .dx2. Our Roeders apps guy said there's a program we could download that would decompile the .dx2 so we could edit it, but I haven't wanted to do it that bad. I honestly wouldn't even want to touch our Roeders post. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many thing could happen. But the 4X horizontal Okuma post, I'd mess around with that if I could.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't wait for Stevens either. My tooling vendor suggested http://www.durusworkholding.com/menu/ and they were able to deliver in 2 weeks. They make the fixed jaw just like Stevens to go with the modular vise. The main difference is, instead of dowel pins, the Durus vise has two .625 buttons that protrude .065" from the base, so the subplate has to be counterbored. If I had a Stevens subplate, I'd make some step dowels instead of counterboring.

I'm just lucky Gerardi had a decent sized 4 sided vise in stock and made the base plate in a couple days. It has worked for everything we needed to cut since we got it.

I now have 4 blocks like the one above. They are 30x18x6. I knew they were coming up, so I was getting very worried. All I ever got from Stevens was, sorry. We know we're late, but you'll get it when you get it. They did ship them Fedex freight, so they got here quick. The truck showed up minutes after the first block was ready to go in the Okuma.