Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using custom tool geometry in simulation/verify/backplot?

mmoya

I created a custom reamer in Mastercam using a DXF file of the tool profile, but when I go to sim or verify I get an error saying

"Cannot access tools saved in references files or levels.

Mastercam cannot accurately represent these tools. Stored tool profiles or a default tool will be substituted.

Do you wnat to continue?"

If I choose yes, it just shows a cylinder that's the same size of the biggest portion of the tool.

I tried picking "Custom" tool type and "Center Drill" since it's the closest in shape.

It's a boss port reamer so I need to be able to sim it to make sure it's doing what I want it to do..

I attached a couple screenshots for reference. Any help is appreciated!

p.s. I'm on X9

post-55688-0-07768500-1479916993_thumb.png

post-55688-0-50540300-1479916993_thumb.png

post-55688-0-84323600-1479916993_thumb.png

post-55688-0-08178400-1479916994_thumb.png

post-55688-0-80260900-1479917211_thumb.png

I created a custom reamer in Mastercam using a DXF file of the tool profile, but when I go to sim or verify I get an error saying

"Cannot access tools saved in references files or levels.

Mastercam cannot accurately represent these tools. Stored tool profiles or a default tool will be substituted.

Do you wnat to continue?"

If I choose yes, it just shows a cylinder that's the same size of the biggest portion of the tool.

I tried picking "Custom" tool type and "Center Drill" since it's the closest in shape.

It's a boss port reamer so I need to be able to sim it to make sure it's doing what I want it to do..

I attached a couple screenshots for reference. Any help is appreciated!

p.s. I'm on X9

Post #5 - pdf.  http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/82794-creating-custom-mill-tools-and-holders-in-x8/?p=1012495

Didn't see this till my earlier reply. For some reason, using the DXF method still will not work. I've tried every which way to no avail, but using the MCX (vertical) method worked!

Thank you AlbertZini!

Edit: What was throwing me off the most was that it imported and displayed correctly in the tool manager, but didn't work in any sim/backplot.. I didn't even think to use a MCX file rather than DXF

I have everything oriented correctly, on the correct levels, and with the correct geometry, afaik. See pics.

Well this was not to the instructions shown on the PDF. BTW excellent work on the PDF by Henk. Glad you reverted back to the MCX method to get what you need, but please review that PDF again and try it let us know when you have it like the PDF states. Everything to Y positive side. Closed Shapes that must over lap.

I have everything oriented correctly, on the correct levels, and with the correct geometry, afaik. See pics.

Well this was not to the instructions shown on the PDF.

I wrote that before seeing the post with the PDF, which I mentioned earlier..

The very first method I tried, was from the help section in Mastercam:

Any portion of the tool profile can be positioned in the first quadrant and/or second quadrant. However, the origin is typically positioned so the Y axis intersects the non-cutting portion of the tool at the point that the holder would contact the tool. This would result in a part of the non-cutting portion of the tool being positioned in the first quadrant, while some of it would be positioned in the second quadrant to be picked up by the holder.

All geometry that defines the cutting and non-cutting portions of the geometry must consist of closed boundaries.

Which failed. So then began the experimenting..

I just played with it some more and got the dxf to work but only when the entire profile was in quadrant #1, which is not what the help section stated. :wallbash: