Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wireframe selection problem

wdg5555

In Mastercam 2017 I'm having problems selecting lines. Sometimes if I am in the top view looking at a solid and there is a line at the top of the part and a line at the bottom then It won't let me select either.

But If I rotate the solid then it will allow me to pick the lines. Any ideas?

I attached two pictures. The screen shot didn't capture my mouse location but it is hovering over the top line. When the view is rotated you can see it lets me select the line.

top view.bmp

rotated.bmp

That is going to be an issue any time you have geometry that lies in the same location in XY, but is has different Z values. So how can you overcome the issue? There are many options, depending on how you like to work.

My first suggestion is to only generate the Wireframe you need. Only create Wireframe where you need it. When you import a new solid, delete the existing Wireframe or move it to a new level.

Another option is to rotate so that the graphics view is front or side, and window select just the top or bottonot Wireframe to select it. Then single click on the solid, to add it to the selection group. Then, press 'ALT + E' to leave only that geometry on the screen. ALT + E is temporary Hide. It keeps only your selected geometry on the screen. To bring back the hidden geometry,  just use ALT + E again.

You can also start by selecting just the Top geometry, and moving it to a new level. Then do the same with the bottom geometry. This gives you levels that can be turned on/off to make selection easier. 

Finally, there is an option in the 'Only' Selection Mask, to enable a "depth mask". That filters the selectability based on the Z height of the geometry. 

I find the fastest thing for me is to unshade the model with ALT+S then select, but there are a couple other methods too.

Unshading does allow me to select one of the lines. Thank you.

Somewhat strange, if I turn on "select from bottom" in the menu at the top of the workspace then it allows me to select the bottom one. Still seems like I shouldn't have to unshade to select a line when in a certain view.

Thanks for the help everyone.