Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 RAM usage

grimm

I'm running X9 and my system meets all the recommended specs accept that I only have 6 gigs of RAM as opposed to the recommended 8.  I was running into slow downs but the windows memory monitor said I never used more than 4.5.  Just for kicks and giggles, we put 6 more in it (total of 12 gigs) and it's running beautifully.  But the windows manager still says it never goes over 4.5.  My IT department says this is impossible and they don't want to give me more RAM.  Can somebody give me an explanation so I can go to them and convince them I need it?

What kind of tool paths are you making?

Many of the new toolpaths will use multiple cores and as much memory as it can

If you're using contour, pocket and the basic 2D paths.....you're not going to see it....

If you're using the Highspeed or many of the multi-axis paths, you should see it on complex paths immediately

That's the kicker - I'm not running toolpaths.  95% of what I use mastercam for is just to draw parts.  We do the occasional drill path or contour path when it's warranted but those are few and far between.  

But even though i'm only drawing, I can still outrun the computer with only 6 gigs of RAM.  With the 12 in it, it's smooth and it keeps up. But windows is telling me it's only ever using 4.5.  I don't get it. 

That's the kicker - I'm not running toolpaths.  95% of what I use mastercam for is just to draw parts.  We do the occasional drill path or contour path when it's warranted but those are few and far between.  

But even though i'm only drawing, I can still outrun the computer with only 6 gigs of RAM.  With the 12 in it, it's smooth and it keeps up. But windows is telling me it's only ever using 4.5.  I don't get it. 

Simply put, you're not doing any heavy math calculations....drawing in and of itself is not a RAM intensive task.......modeling can be if the models get complex but from a CAD standpoint, it's just not really going to tax a system.

A CAD station should as a generally rule of thumb likely have at least 16 gigs of RAM these days. RAM is cheap and there's simply no reason not to......

The IT gawds can be obstinate a'holes at times

With only 6 gigs of RAM it could be the operating system causing issues.  I did a fresh install of Windows XP on a machine with 4 gigs and it ran fine, then after I let it update it didn't have enough ram to load the whole OS.  6GB may just be squeaking by and causing frequent paging to disk (the OS does this to maintain a buffer zone of free memory) which causes slowdowns.

What are your pc specs?

Motherboard model, Ram type/speedmodel, cpu model?

One other thing to look into, and I don't really know if this could be a cause, is I THINK your ram could be underclocking itself in one or more ways.

For instance, I think if you have Quad channel ram and only use certain ram slots, you won't get the full speed and it might not run at Quad Channel specs.

And on some motherboards you have to use certain ram slots if you're going with a single stick, or 2 sticks, etc..

Is your RAM running at the speeds it's rated at?

You may be running into a shared video memory issue.

With 6G, the system may be reluctant to issue any to the video card. With more, it will

The amount of reserved shared memory is generally set at boot up, based on paging sizes and other factors competing for reserving memory.

While it is reserved, it won't generally show as used, but as kernel allocated.

These amounts are generally not easy to find unless to use something like process explorer, or similar tool.

In the screenshot below, it shows that even tho I have a 3gig video card, it is also borrowing almost 3.5 gig of system memory, even though neither is showing as being used much.

What are they using to see how much memory is being used? task manager?

Is a new IT department an option?

post-13248-0-68114800-1482511632_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tell IT to quit being penny wise a $1000 dumb. The longer you are waiting on a computer the less money the company is making. If they can't do you job then they shouldn't be in control of the computer specs for your job!!!!

Psh.  If only.  They are the masters of the domain, almighty and powerful.  Who am I, a lowly programmer, to question their vast wisdom and abuse of power? 

Psh.  If only.  They are the masters of the domain, almighty and powerful.  Who am I, a lowly programmer, to question their vast wisdom and abuse of power? 

I see the sarcasm in your response, but I always have pushed back against those who know less than I do. Not that I am all the more intelligent I just use my experience to fight for what I need when I know I need it. Do a time study of your wasted time on issues and submit it to management each month showing them how much time is being wasted be IT and the vastly superior abilities and see who gets what they need.

A programmer should always think of themselves as a C.T.O. (Chief Technology Officer) of their company. We need to always be exploring and growing our understanding and that means all areas of our job. A programmer should know how to use a micrometer and every little trick to get the correct measurement. Same applies to our computing hardware. Always drives me crazy programmers who don't understand anything about a computer. Not meant at you directly, but fight with information using facts to support your case. Someone who is management can't see it then you decide to I keep fighting this fight or do I fight it somewhere else.

• Like 3