Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using stock models

Roger

Anyone want to send me an example of how to use the stock model feature?  Or, do you know of any good examples on the internet to view?  I would really like to start using this, as some parts are getting more complex.

I always start with a solid since I used Solid Layout for so many years to make Setup sheets. (Thanks for Jim Varco I have gotten away from that method.)  I like the solid process because I can then export that solid for any Verification Software I am using. By using the Stock Setup process you loose the ability to work with external processes. I recently ran into a situation where I needed to use the Verisurf reverse tools to help me section a very complex part for 16 pie sections to do some internal ID Opti-Roughing. It worked out really slick once I got it all done, but it was a lot of extra programming work I would have liked to not have to do, but a programmer does what he must to get the job done.

Think of stock models as a progress building tool. Other software handle the stock model process differently and you don't have to tell it source operations and build them along and along for your different operations. Then other software still doesn't have stock models.

• Like 1

C^Millman, I wasn't asking for someone to share a customer part.  I thought there might be a sample part out there that showed how to use the stock model, or, one of you EXPERT MASTERCAM USERS could mock-up a part to share.

My comment was not meant to offend anyone, my way of bumping this thread to the top.

See attached file I was trying to put tool paths on.

Have a great day!  And thanks!

TEST PART.x_t

THANKS,  I'm at home now, will look at it first thing tomorrow morning.  And I do have MC 2018.

I purchased MC way back at version 6, (not x6), and kept it updated through X6.  Then I semi-retired, things changed and I'm back at it full time.  My current employers have been keeping it current, and added muti-axis to it.  I'm hoping to learn 5 axis programing soon, I purchased books from In-House a few months back, things got busy, and  I haven't had a chance to view them, or practice tool paths on the machines.

Once again, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO HELP ME, AND OTHERS! :D

23 hours ago, Roger said:

THANKS,  I'm at home now, will look at it first thing tomorrow morning.  And I do have MC 2018.

I purchased MC way back at version 6, (not x6), and kept it updated through X6.  Then I semi-retired, things changed and I'm back at it full time.  My current employers have been keeping it current, and added muti-axis to it.  I'm hoping to learn 5 axis programing soon, I purchased books from In-House a few months back, things got busy, and  I haven't had a chance to view them, or practice tool paths on the machines.

Once again, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO HELP ME, AND OTHERS! :D

You go on vacation? B)B)

Was that helpful? :ermm::ermm:

• Haha 2

:D No vacation here!! After getting home today I got a text saying that I would have to work this weekend to get those parts done, and to the customer by early afternoon Monday. 

:rant::rant::rant:

I did get a brief moment this morning to look at the file you did.  It helped greatly in that  you should me how it is used.  I was confused about what purpose it was for.  I was thinking instead of saving tool paths after verify as an STL file, you could use stock model instead.

I will look at your file more closely, AFTER THE FIRE GETS PUT OUT.

Thanks Millman!!!!!

Just being funny in my response and it was just a simple example. I am programming parts that go from 8000 lbs down to 500 lbs. I may have 20 or 40 stock models in a file. They are a tool to help you organize your job. They help if you are doing a lot of different things and need to keep track of what is going on where.

• 7 months later...

I only have 2017 at work is there anyway one of you guys could save the example C^Millman posted on July 13 2017 as a mcam2017 file or even an X9? I am still using .STLs with compare inside of Verify it's been getting dirty...I asked the Mastercam rep at Westec about why .STLs were getting hard to work with and he showed me the stock model tab and said no one uses .STLs anymore. Thanks

Stock Models are very powerful tools when they are used in the correct way. They aren't just for verification purposes. If you start with a stock definition, either through the standard stock def, or through importation of a model, you can use that to trim your nci's through the stock tab on most high speed tool paths. you can also use it to import a casting model, then use that as a sock driver. Open the Stock Model tab in toolpaths. in the Stock Definition page you'll see several different ways to define your stock model. Hit the "?" mark on the bottom right hand side of your screen to learn more about this awesome feature.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2018 at 1:01 PM, C^Millman said:

Ask away. If you have a sample file to ask your question with then someone can help you sort something our much quicker.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:29 AM, Roger said:

No problem, Ask away.........

i actually figured out the problem a bit later after trying things thanks though, there will be more questions.