Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sectional Views

dmaier

I am new to Mastercam and have just a few months experience using it. The previous several years I was using PTC Wildfire and Creo. With PTC I was able to create a  sectional view using a plane within an assembly. I tried using  "Trim by plane" in the "Solids" tabs under "modify". Worked great for a single solid. I do not want to Boolean my solids into one because each solid is an individual part making an assembly. Is there a way to perform a "Trim by plane" on several solids at a time or do I have to perform this action on each individual solid.

Using different cad software is not an option at this point. I would prefer to use Creo for all my design (mostly because I have several years of design and toolpath creation with it). My new employer wants to use Mastercam exclusively and I am open-minded enough to switch to what the company wants. Just figured that being new to the software that someone might have some insight or trick on how to create a sectional view of multiple solids more efficient than what I am able to currently do.

There isn't anything easy that I am aware of with Mastercam.  It's not intendid to be a CAD platform.  It would be well worth the time to look into an affordable CAD software to compliment Mastercam for your company.  Creo isn't it, but there are others out there for around 5k or less.  Your employer is going to spend a lot of money in the long run for you to waste time modeling and whatnot in Mastercam.  It won't take much of your time wasted to pay for a better piece of CAD software.   I think just about everyone on here will agree with that.  If you manipulate and work with assemblies much, this will especially be true.  But if the company isn't doing well, or the owners are tight wads (who cares then), then I guess good luck, and I hope you can find a decent solution with what you have.  Good luck.

• Like 1

You can always set the solid as stock for verify and then use the clipping plane function:

This does only work for one solid though. I think they are planning on incorporating this in upcoming versions.

For multiple solids you can make them into a stock model and then use that as the stock source. It will even work with surfaces.

Not the best solution but maybe it will help.

If I'm building something in MC and I need to check my work like a section view. I keep an "extrude" sectioning the part.

I "roll back" the feature. Grab that little stop at the bottom of the solids mgr and drag it up

MC does alright. I prefer modelers too but if it's not in the budget you do what you gotta do

the key is to NEVER say you CANT:rtfm:

:CHIP:

• Like 1