Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"File_Get" vs double-click vs. drag&drop?

Avs_Fan

Hi All,

This is both a question & a statement. headscratch.gif

We've been using all 3 methods to open MC9 files in Mastercam Mill3. What is the best way?

I usually start Mastercam 1st, then open the file I want using File_Get.

My associate usually double-clicks the file he wants from WindowsXP Explorer.

We've also tried drag&drop from Explorer just to confirm it works (yes).

What we just discovered is that the File Descriptor in File_Next menu_Properties does NOT come in when using either of the Explorer methods. confused.gif We can then open the same file using the File_Get method & the Descriptor will be there cuckoo.gifconfused.gif

We've tried/checked/un-checked most NCI path related check boxes in the file-open & Screen Config screens too.

Has anyone else seen quirks like this when opening MC9 files with double-click or drag&drop?

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

Me ,a humble donkey ,when I am in a sobber state ,always use File ->get .

But before this at the Mastercam start runs setdirs.dll,where I select my active directory .

Yuk!

It helps me a lot .

I usually run three-four Mastercam sessions simultaneously ,one for design ,second for toolpathing and third for reference and so on.

I use thumbnais ,and write references in the notes

separate level .

Yuk!

Well ,with explorer You never know what can happen ,when legs refusing you after 2-3 glasses of vodka .

Wanna sing?

FAR HAVE I TRAVEL AND MUCH HAVE I SEEN...

Code_breaker,

It sounds like you may have moved your Mastercam directory from where it was originally installed. Use REGEDIT (very VERY carefully) and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareCNC Software, Inc.V9 Mill. (Or V9 Lathe, or whatever)

You'll see a string under there titled "DIRECTORY". This is where double-clicking on a file is going to think Mastercam is installed. Does it match where you really run Mastercam from? If not, edit it by right-clicking on "DIRECTORY" and choosing 'Modify'. Type in the actual path to where Mastercam is installed.

IF YOU'RE UNSURE ABOUT EDITING THE REGISTRY, PLEASE FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR WAY AROUND IT. ALL SORTS OF THINGS CAN GO WRONG IS IT GETS MESSED UP! CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!

PDG

Well to be honest just depends on my mode that day. I have assocations set-up for certain files and I just doulble click them and they open up in Mastercam. I may open Mastercam first and then go get the file. I may have the same file open in 2 sessions of Mastercam one to cruch toolpaths and the other to get information on the part to get set-up for the next operation. I guess you have to see what best fit your sitution and apply the best possible fit for that.

I have a shortcut to my part folders, and once in a while when working on a part I haven't opened in a while, I will right click the shortcut, and use search, then type the partial name of the file I'm looking for and open it from there. But generally I use File/Get, wait the 5 or 8 seconds for the dialog to come up, then right click/recent, select my file, and off I go.

'Rekd

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses! biggrin.gifcheers.gif

While reading some of the responses I thought headscratch.gifbonk.gif check Help. idea.gif

I found this under "files: opening":

quote:

¨ The Get option automatically runs an integrity/efficiency check to remove instabilities in the file. If you want Mastercam to check for and delete duplicate entities at the same time, check Delete duplicate entities in File/Get on the Start/Exit tab of the System Configuration dialog box (Main Menu, Screen, Configure, Start/exit). Duplicate entities interfere with entity selection, particularly chaining.

I guess that answers the 1st question.

What about the File Descriptor or other quirks?

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Hi rekd,

I wonder if this is a glitch/bug? As time allows, I'm going to go back & open a random sample of some of my old files to see if the File Properties are still there. This is still a mystery to us as well.

Anyone?

quote:

I wonder where the Properties data is saved, in the .MC9 or in the .NCI?

Or is it saved at all? confused.gif