Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM turning center help

Kampfzentrum

Hey guys, 

Normally I am a mill guy in my shop, working on 2D and 3D machining. We recently got a Mori-Seiki CLX (EcoTurn) 450 and are trying to program some complex parts that the CAPPS software is having a bit of problems with. As you know, MasterCAM is completely different in the turning mode in contrast to the milling mode. So, I've managed to pretty much teach myself a good bit of it, but when I come to introducing the live tooling I get a bit stumped.

Let's say I am drilling a cross hole through a part and want to run a 3D contour on the edges to produce a .010" chamfer. In the top view I select CONTOUR and begin to select the geometry that will enable me to do that operation. However, when I want to do the same thing to the other side, MasterCAM doesn't show me a quick and easy feature to do this. I am looking for a option/feature that asks me at what C axis degree point I want to put the contour on, but I cannot find it. 

That is it for now, I'll keep it simple until I start getting into more complex stuff.

Thanks.

Edited by JParis
Asking for post...removed comment..if you need a post, your reseller is the place to ask.

Asking for a Post is against the Forum rules. Fortunately, Mastercam does some with "stock" posts that will work for a Mori for general turning.

You get C-Axis output by setting your "Planes" properly. The System "Back" plane is the default for C0.0.

Note: The "Back" Plane in Mastercam has the X+ direction pointing "LEFT" when you are looking in ISO view.

In order for the Post to properly calculate the C Angle output, you must start with the Back Plane, and Rotate it to make a new Plane at the correct angle. All of the "C-Axis" planes that you create must have the X+ vector aligned with the "Back Plane" X+ Vector direction.

The only "valid" Plane Rotations for a 4X Lathe Post are rotations of the YZ vector directions.

Oops, sorry, didn't know about the posts. Scratch that.

Thanks for the help, I already got what I needed it to do. But it was BOTTOM instead of BACK, either way, I found it out. 

Yeah, I haven't been able to find a post processor for this thing. My bosses are hunting for it and have been unsuccessful. I have got to believe there is something out there, however just not getting it.

When a lathe machine definition is active, there is a feature available called Cview

You can find it on the Turning Tab

It automatically sets tool planes for most C axis milling functions you might run into

Try it out, it will get you started and help you find your way when there are more complex tasks to be done

1 hour ago, Kampfzentrum said:

Oops, sorry, didn't know about the posts. Scratch that.

Thanks for the help, I already got what I needed it to do. But it was BOTTOM instead of BACK, either way, I found it out. 

Yeah, I haven't been able to find a post processor for this thing. My bosses are hunting for it and have been unsuccessful. I have got to believe there is something out there, however just not getting it.

In-House Solutions should have a post for this machine.