Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas TL2 and MCX8

milehighxr

How do I get this to work? I'm trying to program a simple part with MCX8 for a tl2 using the stock machine and control defs for the Haas TL2, and just trying to do a face, and it keeps telling me it's going to crash and won't regen. What am I missing? I really don't wanna hand code this machine, as the control is up too high(I'm 5'7" on a good day).

I have done lathe prorgramming before using MCAM, but it was for a Mori Seiki with a typical upper right tool changer as viewed form operators door.

TL's and ST/SL's run the exact same code. I always program a TL as an SL/ST in Mastercam, because it keeps your files the same. Need to post the file for a slant machine, change post and go. No needing to flip geometry and all that Jazz. All your files from your Mori, will run on your TL, just by changing the post. 

Just need to remove the C/Y axis in the Machine definition if you go the ST/SL route. 

It does have the intuitive package. I have to read that manual still, cuz it's not intuitive to me at all.

If I use the machine def for the TL, I get 0 options for the turret location axis combos.

Are you uys suggesting that I use the SL machine def that came with X8, and use that? Or should I be using the slant bed lather mach def?

Why doesn't the TL machine def in X8 work?

Hi Milehighxr, I dont know what you have tried or not tried but what side of the Xaxis are you toolpathing on? The TL is a Tool room lathe and not a slant bed so you "should" be programming on the Lower side of X like i have shown in the image below with tools set to the Lower. It is possible to program these TL machines like a Slant bed, but if your post is not setup to do so and if you are not on the correct side on the axis for that specific post this could very well be part of the problem you are seeing. I hope this helps

image.jpg

4 hours ago, milehighxr said:

When I try to use the supplied machine def for the TL2 in MCX8, it is backwards from what I would expect to see. There are no options to change it to so that it is correct, that I can see. I can't get it to look like your pic as far as the toolpath is concerned.

Hi Milehighxr,

The default tool libraries in lathe will not have tools oriented like that so you will need to rotate the tool yourself. To do this you first need to double click the tool (or right click and hit edit tool) --> Click Setup tool (top Right on the edit tool window) and then Change the tool to Lower Turret instead of Upper turret. 

By changing the tool from upper turret to lower turret with the steps above the tool will then face the correct direction, You can then hit Display tool to make sure it looks correct. 

Note: Under setup tool, you also can change the chuck rotation, if a yellow insert is showning on the tool the insert needs to be FACE UP on the machine. If the insert is showning oarnge it needs to be FACE DOWN on the machine. If you find a problem with tool direction (like if it faces the sub spindle or away from the main spindle) you may even need to change the holder to the other hand holder.

Please let us know if you can not find these settings or if this does not fix the problem