Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining Printed Ti

In the near future I've been tasked with machining about a dozen Printed 6al4v Ti parts.   I would compare the parts similar to an AR Lower receiver in shape with some thin features.  Machining time isn't part of the quote but good parts are lol.   I will get one or two practice parts to try out.   Unfortunately these will be done on a Haas Mini Mill :( at least it's in good shape...

Programming in MC 2017

I'm guessing Harvey Tool is gonna be my go to.  Most tools are going to be < 3/8" 

37 minutes ago, Rstewart said:

Unfortunately these will be done on a Haas Mini Mill :( 

My commiserations....having said that the size and shape should help you out. Harvey would probably be a good choice although I have never run their tools much in Ti, but plenty of other hard metals. I have used a lot of Helical with Ti, another possible choice.

High feed toolpaths will probably be fine as problems with these and Ti don't normally rear their heads until you get up to 12". Keep your chip load as high as you dare. Do the thin areas allow the part to flex in certain directions or do you have a fairly stable "box" in there?

I would start with 2 ops but be prepared to go to 4, perhaps with a "picture frame" or "tab" strategy either way.

Printed Ti......keep us posted on how it goes....!!