Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows 10 or Windows 7

I"m purchasing a new laptop and I have the option between Windows 10 and Windows 7.  I was previously running Mastercam 2018 on another laptop with Windows 10 and I had to reinstall Mastercam twice after Windows 10 updated itself because Mastercam would no longer open.  Other than that I think Mastercam worked well with windows 10.   I would prefer windows 10 and to me it sounds odd to buy a new computer without the latest operating system but I never had to reinstall Mastercam with windows 7.   Is anyone else experiencing this issue with windows 10.  Any thoughts or recommendations on this subject are greatly appreciated.  

2 minutes ago, Justin Beebe at Folsom Tool said:

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with windows 10

yes.. I like Win 10, but it's automatic update policy has caused many people lots of trouble

The current latest greatest will ender Mastercam completely inoperable.

You can not set Win10 update to postpone updates, which I've done.

Hopefully all the issues will be resolved by the time I'm forced to update

Windows 10 is designed as a cloud based OS, and is becoming more so with every update.  When you search it's not a local process; everything is run through Microsoft's servers.  An undisclosed but significant amount of your data is send to Microsoft servers; the EULA even says they will send your data, including but not limited to emails, files, keyboard input etc. to Microsoft servers.  A significant portion of these servers are physically located outside the US, which means sending ITAR information to them is a federal offense.  There are some "privacy settings" and "telemetry settings" which disable some of these functions, but they are not completely effective.  Tests have shown that even with everything disabled that can be disabled the OS is still sending out a lot of data to out-of-country Microsoft servers.

Thanks Matt, I do find it hard read through all the EULA stuff and understand what they are getting at with the data they use. ITAR is technical data and i don't know why Microsoft would even want traces of data like that on their servers for fear of having repercussions from the US government. 

I decided to go with windows 7.  Thank you everyone for the replies.  The information on ITAR was extremely helpful. Here are the rest of the specs. I went with the 15.6 inch display because I'm tired of lugging a 17 inch laptop around.

Intel Core i7-6820HQ (Quad Core 2.70GHz, 3.60GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 530), MPWS
32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Memory, MPWS
256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive, MPWS
Nvidia Quadro M2000M w/4GB GDDR5
15.6" FHD(1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED-backlit (45% color gamut)