Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface pocket roughing -> entry

Markus Roth

Hello Forum,

when i do a surface - rough - pocket operation, there is the posibility, to check that mastercam arranges the entries to one point, so i can use a drill before roughing.

Now, this does work, but still, there will be more than one entry point. But i have a part, where i really just should have one entry point. I have four at the moment.

Is there any posibility to achieve that?

best regards,

Markus Roth

There is a couple of things I do to keep it in one spot, but, there are time that nothing can be done.

If you have a rect with radii type of limits (or boundary), then break the longest in the middle and start the chain from there.

If you use entry-helix, then play with the XY Clearance. By staying off the walls a certain distance with force the tool path to stay in one place. Also, check 'skip' under 'when all entries fail". This will keep the tool from plunging into the part. rolleyes.gif

Then there the shapes that just refuse to cooperate. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif If you are you are using helix and have the proper tooling, then if doesn't matter. wink.gif

HTH

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

Hi Ron,

i have no chains, just the boundary chain, as its a surface roughing pocket, so i dont think, this has an influence on the entry point(s) as i said, i need all entries on just one point, and not on some.

i can mail you the part, if you want to have a look at it?

best regards,

Markus Roth

Hello Code_Breaker,

thanks for your input. the part looks like a big outer circle and an inner circle. an there in are some island, everything as surface. So, my boundary chain is the outer circle. Hmmm...i can't use the helix entry, because of the material and tool wear. My stock has already one hole in it, and just there, i should have my entry for roughing the part.

But i'm sure, i can use your tricks in other parts as well. so, thanks for that :-)

best regards,

Markus Roth

I think that an entry helix is the best way to go here. It saves the drilling operation and there is no need to worry about point entry.

On the rough parameters page of surface rough pocket, check the 'Entry-helix' box under entry options and go from there.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Markus I am off now and will be off till thursday. If you right click on the chain you get a dialog bow with several options soemtimes you cantwaek things some times you can't I sometimes can get my starts to change on soe mthing but the donggle is at work and I will not be d oany thing but the family thing for the next 5 days and checkign on here when I can. I say pu the part up on the FTP and I am sure one of my feelow members can give you ideas. Have a good weekend folks.

Markus Roth,

In the geometry of the operation, Chain Manager, right-click and select "Add chain". Click the center of your hole. This will most likely place the point after the boundary chain in the Chn Mgr. Left-click and drag the boundary chain below the point chain and release it. This should place the point before the boundary and it will go to the point first. You can use the Entry-Helix button to center the helix on this point or even plunge right at the point selected. HTH cheers.gif

If you lower the "stock to leave" to 0.8mm you get what you want. If you also uncheck the " align entry point" you get the entry point where you have created the red point.

With a stock to leave set to 1mm and a tool with dia 8mm this gives you a total of 10mm witdth needed to do the moves you want. In the lower areas that width doesn´t exist. That is why you get different entry points.