Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trim Question

navsENG

I dont use trim all too often, I am trying to cut a slot at an angle. I was really trying to just do some sort of a 3d ramp of the contour but I couldnt seem to make that work.. 

I just did a 2d view of it to show an example, but even if I trim it, I feel like it will only cut the upper portion of the slot, and I would like to be able to get the same depth all the way

down, and not have a bunch of broken up toolpaths. 

toolpath.thumb.jpg.a980a8720f280da825aaa0cb32e30f2b.jpg

24 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

For lage production runs I offset a bunch of chains the length I want and chain my way down.

Smaller quantities I break it up in depths and shorten the lead in at the top cahins

Thats a good way to do it, just a bit time consuming to draw it.. I dont mind doing that, just wondering if there was an easier method. Im thinking it may be better to just cut it from 0 and just do parallel cuts stepping in.

Ill try the stock model and see if I can make that work 

I would do it like this :

1. Your last move in this groove will be a projection toolpath  made using your (I'm assuming)  flat end mill.  So make a projection toolpath and convert the toolpath to geometry (pic1)

2 use the toolpath geometry to create a surface like in pic25aa4c9efe9432_pic2.thumb.png.de1b1c5a9c9bba7783a570455905c576.pngpic1.thumb.png.668f556bd41190789ac22751b0de3307.png

3 Now you can make a flowline toolpath  with the surface . The programming diameter for your tool is something slightly larger than zero for no offset. (pic3) 

5aa4cada031ab_pic3.thumb.png.9be98db45f947f599362295a84768cee.png

Gracjan

1 minute ago, gcode said:

I think you have found a bug

I created a simple Trim operation in MC2018

It works correctly, but if you open to contour operation to make an edit

it can no longer be regened

The MX2018 file does open and function properly in MC 2019PB2 though

see the attached file

trim_x19.zip

I noticed that too. If you re select the trim geometry, it seems to be able to be regen'd?