Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface finish op question

Racer X

Hey gang.

I posted a part called wheel final.mc9 in the mc9 directory on the FTP site (tried to use a link here but couldn't get it to work properly). I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some input as to what type of surface finish operation would be best on this.

I have not used many different surface finish operations most of my stuff can be done with finish parallel.

I tried playing with a couple different operations and am just getting confused banghead.gif . I have had to teach myself everything I know about mastercam so this is probably a very easy solution to most of you geniuses that I glean from everyday.

Thanks in advance!

Lonnie cheers.gif

Well I would not just one toolpath here but you could if you wanted to just take some work. The parrelle will do everyone on the spokes just set your angle to each one of the spokes and make them one operation accordinly. I might use Flowline for the Hub and rim part of the wheel using the spokes and the spoke raduis as check surfaces. I might look at flowine also for the spokes just might have trouble with the raduis blends at each joint. I would also remember that bounding shapes and check surfaces are your best friend. I think you need to think in terms of pieces and not a whole with a part like this and you will do just fine.

Don't know what material your machining...

Can try Rough pocket (try bull nose with .06 rad.), semi fin. with radial to even stock out, and finish od/id with fin. contour using your purple radii as check surfs., then fin. parallel one spoke and xform-rotate to remaining spokes.Fin. scallop. on hub.

just a place to start and experiment from.off top of my head without close look.someone may have time to fine tune as i am not a gurue biggrin.gif

Have fun

Check surfaces are the surfaces you don't want to violate. Use them as boundaries for your tool so you don't gouge walls. It's located on surface parameter page.For instance you want to finish spokes but don't want to hit i/d o/d walls so you would pick that wall as a check surface.Quicker than creating boundaries.

With graphite , u can rough and finish with ball nose if you want. just step down sizes to 3/16.

Surfacing is an area of trial and error til u get familiar with toolpaths.