Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does anyone know a way to restart in the middle of a subprogram?  I'm on a 2015 Haas (pre-NexGen).  I run this main:

%
O82244 (8224R MAIN 4 UP)
G52 B0.
M98 P82245
G52 B90.
M98 P82245
G52 B180.
M98 P82245
G52 B270.
M98 P82245
M30
%

which calls a two hour and 45 minute subprogram for each part.  When I lose a tool and have to come in and fix it in the middle of the night I find my options are to restart from the beginning of the part or run out that one part while sitting here and then starting up the main again.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tim Johnson said:

I know nothing about Haas but can you add a block number where you want to start and do a  GOTO?

This is probably the "easiest" way to do this in a Haas. From my experience trying to restart in a Haas, it will not let you single block into a sub and then search down through that subprogram to a different starting point like in a Fanuc or other controls. The program restart setting 36 only complicates things if you use probing at all (I learned this the hard way not too long ago). 

Because of this, we hardly use subprograms in our Haas machines the way we do on other machines that are much more flexible in the way they let you navigate through main and subprograms.

Best thing I could think of would be duplicating the sub-program and having a "rework" version of it in the control where you can add safe lines etc. Set the sub call to use a variable instead of a hard #, and at the end of the "rework" sub, reset the variable back to call the normal version of the sub.

IME, using the restart functions on a Haas can be pretty sketchy since it can sometimes result in unexpected motion. Most likely I just didn't know wtf I was doing, but had the machine do weird stuff enough times to scare me off it.

Like Fadal, there are two types of subprograms

M98 external like Funsuc

M97 internal.

Haas internal subs would be listed after the m30.

Fadal; IIRC subs come first. which is mind boggling.

never tried to restart an M97 sub.

report back on results:harhar:

either way you're going to need to restart in a few hours, so i'm failing to see the point.

maybe do this:

make a new sub that starts on your referenced tool change.

make a new Main that calls your new sub followed by your old main.

you can loop sub calls roughly more than 3 deep but less than 10 deep....IIRC from 1997.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mkd said:

either way you're going to need to restart in a few hours, so i'm failing to see the point.

maybe do this:

make a new sub that starts on your referenced tool change.

make a new Main that calls your new sub followed by your old main.

you can loop sub calls roughly more than 3 deep but less than 10 deep....IIRC from 1997.

This is probably the best answer.

Or similarly, have a copy with a goto at the beginning, so for future use I can just change the goto.