Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

toolpath smoothing

LucasGC

14 minutes ago, gcode said:

I am unable to work with this file

It opens OK, but says my Sim is not enabled for this product

My personal sim is current and includes the full suite of multiaxis toolpaths

I'm guessing the machine/post is protected.

I tried changing to a generic 5X machine but it won't let me do that either

I think it's a router file.

NM delete JP beat me to it.

i did borrow jp's file.  here are my to paths with his unchanged.  i will say this, i always favor the old school paths but after poking in his high speed i will start using them more.  i suggest every one take a look if you favor the old school stuff like i do.  his surfaces were also perfect already.  all i did was add the two paths. i didn't bother with lead in/out as i just wanted to see the paths on the surfaces.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07vme72nd87a472/JP_heavy and wavy.mcam?dl=0

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, pullo said:

As usual , we almost went off topic.  The topic was  "toolpath smoothing" .

I think we can all agree that ,  when creating a toolpath that does not seem to be  doing it's job , 

all the smoothing in the world won't  correct the situation .  Everybody ditched the idea of applying some magical smoothing parameters and went off on a tangent with this or 

that idea.  Correct me if I'm wrong.... 

As to the Powermill thingy , there's  at least 250 000  of us .:) 

Gracjan

I'd just like to add that as far as I was aware the Smoothing option is not about generating arc moves or nice co-linear passes that could be filtered into arcs.  There are often more small 3D moves with Smoothing activated then without... the feature is designed to improve the appearance of 3D finished surfaces by reducing the appearance of moire patterns  - it usually does this by creating more randomised, smaller moves in the program.  It doesn't really straighten out wavy toolpaths.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think i ever posted on how I fixed this issue. I don't know if I necessarily fixed it or just got around it. It was mostly the last two passes that were very jagged, so i moved the boundary inwards two steps worth... those extra two passes would have been nice just to verify that nothing had been left but i think without them the path is ending on the exact surface edges.

The last pass is still wavy but significantly better and able to be smoothed through filtering