Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trying to use MMD and CD files that have been migrated

Metallic

Someone explain to me if i have been doing this all wrong all along:

MCam new edition released. I download and migrate all my files. Now NONE of my control and machine definition files can be used within the previous version, in this case Mastercam 2018.

So when it says it is going to make a backup of the original file....where can i find that and why does it seem to affect all copies of that file, local or not?

Very frustrating, so i hope i am just ignorant of where the backups are placed.

Thank you

5 hours ago, Metallic said:

Someone explain to me if i have been doing this all wrong all along:

MCam new edition released. I download and migrate all my files. Now NONE of my control and machine definition files can be used within the previous version, in this case Mastercam 2018.

So when it says it is going to make a backup of the original file....where can i find that and why does it seem to affect all copies of that file, local or not?

Very frustrating, so i hope i am just ignorant of where the backups are placed.

Thank you

what i do is I always create my own backups prior to updates so there is no risk of losing anything. As long as you keep your posts and tool libraries in the generic location (which is Here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared Mcam2018) then if you simply backup this entire folder (right Click and hit Send to compressed zip folder is how i back things like this up then place that zip folder somewhere you wont lose it) then there is no risk of losing anything if something goes wrong or if i unknowingly make some kind of updating mistake during the migration. I luckily almost never need those backups, but the one time you do need them you will be very happy that you spend the 30 extra seconds to make the backups ahead of time. Another reason that this might be a good idea is if you manage to accidentally cross link your 2019 into the 2018 shared folder for the posts you could un-intentionally update your posts in the 2018 folder since Mastercam 2019 will detect that they are not up to date and try to update those files which i have ran into before when opening up old files that are still linked to the old directory.  I hope this helps in for future updates