Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2019 file won't open

Tim Pruett

I have several mastercam 2019 files that will no longer open in mastercam 2019. They just sit there for ever trying to open. I was going to attach one of them on here to see if anyone else could open it but it's to big to attach. Any suggestions? I've lost about a day and a half of work. The backup files and the files that are backed up every night onto our network wont open either. This is very frustrating.

Tim

Ok , so in a matter of  4 minutes  , you installed for the first time Verisurf  and successfully  used it to your advantage and then  you  researched  file sharing and sent me the file!

I  WANT THE SALAD YOU'RE EATING ! :)

Gracjan

I've had this happen occasionally over the years, usually with files containing lots of big surfacing toolpaths

I'm curious as to what the Mastercam log  said when it hung opening the files.

I was going to suggest unchecking

"Restore entire toolpath data in File, Open"

on the File page of System Config.

This usually works.

The file opens dirty and requires regen, but it opens and regens OK.

If you get an OP that won't regen, that is probably the cause of the failure to open.

I've never heard of using Verisurf/File Merge. That is a slick solution

Last week one of our programmers had a lathe file go corrupt and fail to open.

No idea why. I believe it had something to do with a bad file path on our network.

I sent it to QC, but never got a reply.

I did manage to get it open and salvage his work, but the original corrupt file is a good candidate to try

your Verisurf/File Merge trick

Yeah , I also learned it the hard way .  The file  that I had that got corrupted had the  burn coordinates  and I had the electrode already  machined . So up the creek and no coordinates. Then I remembered  , that my electrode machine post posts out  my  WCS / Toolplane  origin post , so  I  EDMed the cavity  using the info from the NC - file  documentation and then manually reconstructed the machining files ( about 1.5 hrs lost )....  For some reason  I wandered into Verisurf and there it was : The "merge CAD files" function, tried it and it worked !  Too late too little for the previous mishap,  but  the knowledge ready for the next time ....

Gracjan

15 minutes ago, Tim Pruett said:

pullo, thanks for confirmation. Maybe there's something wrong with my mastercam 2019 install.

gcode, I don't have any toolpaths in the file. I'm using mastercam for designing injection molds. 

Did any of the solids come in dirty

If so, that is the most likely cause of the issue

Since anything can be anything ,  I started out in a metric version and as the file is from Gringolandia , mcam changed to Inches and then opened it faultlessly....

Tim , just to rule it out , switch to a metric version and open the file from there ?

Gracjan

One more thing Tim , since I also do mold design, in order to prevent a possible mishap with the file failing, I save the main ASSY  in files that as I progress  get their name ending in a number that gets bumped. So if a file fails , I have a trail of files. ...... But since you said You'd have lost a day  and a half ,  that would not make up for redoing the whole  file, so 

you also leave a trail of files (6-27 , 6-25 .... etc) , I'm  guessing :)

Gracjan