Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

optirough

mirek1017

I'm using the dynamic optirest and when I use the steep/shallow z-depths (stopping at .25 stock) I have to put the top limit above where I want the first cut, or else it will make my toolpaths go around some sort of internal boundary. I can make it go above by one pass and it will take away all the material I need, but i have that first air pass. Taking it down adds gaps to my toolpaths. Anyone else had this problem?

air.png

gaps.png

39 minutes ago, LucasGC said:

I'm using the dynamic optirest and when I use the steep/shallow z-depths (stopping at .25 stock) I have to put the top limit above where I want the first cut, or else it will make my toolpaths go around some sort of internal boundary. I can make it go above by one pass and it will take away all the material I need, but i have that first air pass. Taking it down adds gaps to my toolpaths. Anyone else had this problem?

air.png

gaps.png

When you activate stock it is switching the path to the Stay Inside Strategy on the tool Control Containment boundary page, Try Setting that Toolpath control page to "compensate to outside" and set the "total Offset distance" to the ~ diamater of your cutter. That should fix it i believe. 

1.jpg.94f4da94385f5c09035b748a287bcda1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi - using optirest with stock file trying to ignore small cusps i get the error "optirest not supported when negative stock adjustment is larger than tool corner radius and single stock file is selected"

I've tried putting large and small values in the 'adjustment to stock' distance box. I'm just not really sure what this is saying, do I need to change a value in my cut parameters?

For optirest, if the stock shape is defined by a stock model operation (the OneOther operation happens to be a stock model operation) OR by a CAD file (STL for example) then the ignore small cusps is limited to the tool's corner radius.  So, if you are using a flat end mill (zero corner radius), there is no negative stock adjustment available.  I suppose you could try to use a tool with a nonzero corner radius (to allow for some negative stock adjustment).

You could try defining the stock shape by all previous operations (all groups, all in machine group or just those in the current toolpath group) or by just OneOther operation (which is not a stock model operation - an Optirough, for example).  With that definition, you should be able to use a fairly "large" negative stock adjustment.

Effectively, when you ask to ignore small cusps, the stock shape is shrunk inwardly by the ignore distance.  When you ask to mill small cusps, the stock shape is expanded outwardly by the mill distance.  There are differing methods available to shrink / expand the stock shape - we may choose different ones in different situations.  Seems like the one chosen for Optirest has a shrink limit.

I don't see this issue logged as something for us to improve.  I'll put together a sample part and log it.  Thanks for the idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Okay, that does make sense. I should have tried 0 but I figured it would be the same as selecting 'use as computed'

Would you also be able to just tell it that you're using a ball nose that's the same diameter and then use that radius? I guess this way you would only be able to put a distance of half your tool radius, and using with a path you can set it to any distance?

Thanks

I think your figuring is correct - I think a 0 would be the same as "use as computed".

Right, with a ball cutter, the stock model option still has an "ignore" limit (the tool radius).  I need to dig in, a bit, to better understand what its doing.