Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Canned Rough Face bug?

Mark VIII

Trying to extend the facing beyond the stock does not seem to work like it does on the OD/ID canned roughing. The tool stops at the end of the stock, but does not clear the nose radius of the tool. Using "lead out" and add line does nothing to help like it does on the od/id canned cycles. 

Just now, Mark VIII said:

Trying to extend the facing beyond the stock does not seem to work like it does on the OD/ID canned roughing. The tool stops at the end of the stock, but does not clear the nose radius of the tool. Using "lead out" and add line does nothing to help like it does on the od/id canned cycles. 

I have never used it in 15+ years of Mastercam programming I always just use the face process of long code and call it a day so it very well may be a bug. I always draw the path I want canned cycles to follow when I have used them else where on OD and ID features have you tired that approach?

19 minutes ago, Eric E said:

Mark, I use canned facing for most programs with no problems. Without knowing your issues I can't tell what is wrong. Check out the file I created for canned facing. 

Lathe Canned facing test.mcam

Lathe Canned facing test.nc

Excellent work and many forget the save profile to see if they got the toolpath they really wanted or not. Also you adjusted for the tool nose radius always frustrated me Mastercam doesn't know to remove that excess.

I forgot to mention. I am abusing MC4SW2019.

That is what is also frustrating me CM. It is not comping for the radius. The only way to get it to work is to lie about the stock bore size.

The face has a step and I have to allow stock for finish. Now if doing the od you can give it an overcut (extend) amount or add an extra line at 180degrees. Those are both not working for face canned rough passes.

The last time I worked with lathes was in the X7 days. 6 years?

I use canned lathe cycles all the time.  It's really good for being able to start over when the parts are 60in dia forgings that eat inserts.  You can restart by simply changing an X value vs having to repost.  Saves me A LOT of time letting the guys on the floor have more room to run.

1 hour ago, Mark VIII said:

Yeah. It would be nice to see them modernize stuff like tooldata. Having tools saved in 1 file rather than 3 would be a great help.

2019 did introduce 3D Tools and some things are different, but yes the interlace has not updated to the newer interface for lathe. Mill gets all the love and lathe is just a product of Mastercam looking at what has been done to it's interlace verses the Mill interface.

Update...Okay. Figured it out. I was using the "Adjust Contour Ends" feature and had "parallel to cut" selected. This extended the facing to the stock ID, and did not compensate for the tool radius. So, I tried to extend the contour an additional .100 (as one would think to do) and it did nothing. What I did not realize is that it only extends the actual geometry...which was 1.2" from the stock ID. So, by extending the end of contour 1.3" I was able to compensate for the nose radius. So, it's technically not a bug. It just does not make much sense to do it that way because it makes the "Adjust contour ends" feature next to useless since you have to extend the contour ends anyway in order to get it to clean up. SMH. This means that if the stock bore changes, you must also manually update the canned facing passes.