Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Swarf Problems

Manofwar

Hi all. I'm having some trouble with the swarf toolpath and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what's going on. I've tried multiple settings and can't seem to figure it out. The swarf toolpath is gouging the part as it comes across the two smalled parts of the pocket dipping into the part. By messing with the settings the path only seems to be getting worse.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Caleb

Swarf-Gouge.ZIP

Swarf-Gouge.mcam

on the gouge check page

change "Check" from Guide Curves only to Swarf Surfaces

and Collision handling to Degouge.

Also go to View/Backside and you will see that two of your surface normal are wrong

depending on the tolerance you need to hold it may be necessary to keller these surfaces

I think the tool size is your problem here. Analyze the radius it is smaller than the tool you are cutting it with in places. 500lbs of tool in a 5lb area isn't going to fit. Even with a smaller tool not sure how much it will not try to over cut that shape since it is not a really nice shape. Size on Size is always going to chatter unless you slow it way down. I would thinking about going to a metric tool so you will get a little sweep in the corners, but even then that shape is not showing me the ability to swarf if to cut that shape. Give and take and what is your profile tolerance? What is the form, fit and function of that shape?

I have attached a picture of the section in question. FORUMS.BMP   It appears that this is just a pocket for a cap head screw. Tolerance is .02 profile to 3 datums, so not incredibly tight.

I was planning on rounding the the corners a bit to eliminate the sharp toolpath. 

I was hoping to use the .125 EM to avoid hitting the section above the hole in the picture. This depth is about .35 min. I was also hoping to do this quite quickly instead of surfacing the whole thing, as the deadline for these parts is pressing (aren't they always)

The floor of the pocket only has .03 of material thickness between it and the bore.

As you can see I did have to draw some of the surfaces. I'm not the best at the cad side of MC (yet) which is why the surfaces suck a bit.

11 minutes ago, manfowar said:

I have attached a picture of the section in question. FORUMS.BMP   It appears that this is just a pocket for a cap head screw. Tolerance is .02 profile to 3 datums, so not incredibly tight.

I was planning on rounding the the corners a bit to eliminate the sharp toolpath. 

I was hoping to use the .125 EM to avoid hitting the section above the hole in the picture. This depth is about .35 min. I was also hoping to do this quite quickly instead of surfacing the whole thing, as the deadline for these parts is pressing (aren't they always)

The floor of the pocket only has .03 of material thickness between it and the bore.

As you can see I did have to draw some of the surfaces. I'm not the best at the cad side of MC (yet) which is why the surfaces suck a bit.

Use Model Prep to help you and not be worried about making up surfaces. That solid could have been made to your need very quickly using Model prep and had the radius and other things you needed. I would just run it ,but add some lead in/out to the toolpath to keep the tool from having to plunge along the wall and pull out along the wall.

18 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Use Model Prep to help you and not be worried about making up surfaces. That solid could have been made to your need very quickly using Model prep and had the radius and other things you needed. I would just run it ,but add some lead in/out to the toolpath to keep the tool from having to plunge along the wall and pull out along the wall.

Thanks for the help. You are correct, Model Prep had all the tools I needed. Toolpath looking a lot better now.

21 hours ago, gcode said:

on the gouge check page

change "Check" from Guide Curves only to Swarf Surfaces

and Collision handling to Degouge.

Also go to View/Backside and you will see that two of your surface normal are wrong

depending on the tolerance you need to hold it may be necessary to keller these surfaces

I kept getting errors with the original path when turning this option on. However, after switching to the solid model after using model prep it worked great. Thanks for chiming in!

Caleb