Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

6t control and g50 revisited

Noel

Good evening all.

I did a search and ony found one topic relating to this.I am trying to set up an old lathe with a fanuc 6t control that uses g50's.Can I treat the g50like a g54 and make it the same for all tools and just enter the difference between my reference tool and the other tools in the tool offset page with the reference having a tool offset of zero.Or do I need to set the difference at each tool as a g50 before and after each tool.The guys running the machine dont seem to know what to do.They say that the machine is not reacting to the changes that they are making to the tool offsets(G50'S).Why is there nothing but zeros entered in the tool offsets page. I have been off the lathe for a while the oldest control I have worked with was a 10tf so any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks Noel

Well thinking about this before saying something. I always set machines up usign the first tool as my G54 or G50 then tools where alwasy set from there as the Z0 then of course al lthe diameter where taught to the tools in the tooloffset page. I would think if you are doing everything as G50 and it is realtvie to home making life harder than needed. The thing is not having the machine in front of me and been 10 years since I long coded a lathe hard to recall what is best for your partically sitution. I just think I would set my frist tool to my G54 face of the front of the part then use my tooloffset page to make each realtive to that tool from there. If you leave your tool in there all the time makes it easy to set up different jobs with just changing the G54 or G50 in this case for the new job and up and running with very little work. You could then easly add tools this way and not have much trouble . I could not imagine writting every tool as a G50 postion and not as one then trying to keep them all in realtion to each other. I see major problem by not keep them all straight with the tool offset page verse the workoffset page. I might be off here and I am sure others will corretc me if I am way off but think I might be on the right track here even though it has been some years.

quote:

Can I treat the g50like a g54 and make it the same for all tools and just enter the difference between my reference tool and the other tools in the tool offset page with the reference having a tool offset of zero.

I have never done this so I am not sure,but would provide for a big offset number.

On our old Mori's we have a g50 established for each tool and from there run with a minimal tool offset if any at all.

We use a lot of the same tools,so they don't get taken out of the turret therefore the X g50 will not have to be changed in between diff. jobs.

Another little trick we do is if we run parts small in length,rather than the turret having to go all the way back to home position in between tools,we origin out the machine much closer to the spindle.

We usually use an even number like 10.0" or 20.0"

this will make for a much smaller Zg50 in the program meaning it will not have to travel all the way home.

Many people do things many ways...

This is only the way we do it. wink.gif

It's probably bass akwards but works!

Sounds like Jspangler and I have the same questions regarding the 6t lathe control and tool setting with a g50.So come on all you lathe gurus let us know what you think.If any one could go through their set up procedure it would be of great help. I have to go out to my budys shop tonight and try to figure this out as he is 3 days behind on this job and is getting desperate.either way I have to get chips tonight.

Thanks in advance Noel

quote:

I use one G50 value in a lathe program and not a new G50 for each and every tool; the potential is too great to smash it all up.

Jack,not trying to pick on ya today but...

IMO,if a person has 1/2 a brain theres nothing to it.

The potential to "smash it up" as you say lies in each and every offset value.

It is "there in the waiting".

If a person has to "think" when they change an offset,then the same thinking should be used to establish multiple g50's. wink.gif

Once your tools are set and you've run a sucessful part....

Let her rip!!

As I had stated,this is only the way that we do it and we all know there is more than 1 way to skin a kat! cheers.gif