Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

moving stock model

ssmart94

43 minutes ago, ssmart94 said:

Hello, 

I have a fixture with 2 parts on a op10 and op20, 

I have created a stock model from op10 and want to move it to OP20, 

I haven't been able to do this using transform as there are no edges to select, 

is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you 

From ops, position red arrow....cut and paste.

Is there an easy way? Not really.

What I'll do for moving a Stock Model around a tombstone for different OPs, is run the first OP through verify and save the cut stock as an STL. I'll then merge that STL into Mastercam and it should just line up with the OP1 model position that I just verified. After that I'll select the STL and x-form it using the solid edges from the OP1/OP2 model positions. Once it is in that new OP2 position you can save it as an STL in that position to use for a new stock model or verify STL.

Using this method, I've been able to verify many operations/positions around a tombstone before I get to Vericut. Hope that helps!

Thank you both for your help, 

I have managed to move the solid model, 

another thing I am having an issue with is mating the parts, 

I am using 2018 at the minute and position looks like the easiest way to go for this, 

is there a better way to do this as the model needs to be moved after the mate.

Thanks again 

The easy way is by setting the plane for the 2nd op stock model.  On a fresh level I create a handed gnomon at the origin of the first WCS and make a copy of the part.  Then I rotate and translate the part and gnomon together until the part is positioned for the next op.  Then create a plane by geometry from the moved gnomon, and set it as the plane for the next stock model.  Then everything remains associative and any changes you make to op1 will show up in your op2 stock model.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

The easy way is by setting the plane for the 2nd op stock model.  On a fresh level I create a handed gnomon at the origin of the first WCS and make a copy of the part.  Then I rotate and translate the part and gnomon together until the part is positioned for the next op.  Then create a plane by geometry from the moved gnomon, and set it as the plane for the next stock model.  Then everything remains associative and any changes you make to op1 will show up in your op2 stock model.

Dang, I should have known there was any easier way. I never took the time to understand how the planes for the stock model worked. I'll definitely try this out next time.

1 minute ago, So not a Guru said:

How is this done?

I draw a circle at origin, a line from the origin to the 0° quadrant of the circle, and a line from the origin extending through the 90° quadrant of the circle.  That way no matter how it gets translated or rotated I always know to pick the short line for X and the long line for Y when creating the new WCS from geometry.

Handeed Gnomon.PNG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4