Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SWARF Mill straight line

LucasGC

Hi all,

So I have pretty much a rectangle with a 2 degree draft angle

Ideally I'd use 3d curve with tilt and select the bottom curve, but when I add depth cuts It doesn't take into account the angle it just offsets it upward.

So when I try and make a swarf toolpath to use depth cuts, It looks like it will work but It's not as simple as a curve toolpath would be.

When it's moving along the edges it does sort of a rocking transition where in the middle of the edge it will be straight up and down (at 2 degrees) but at the end it's already transitioning into the curve 

SWARF would be the easiest way to do this, but I'd recommend that you create a single surface that you can use to drive the path. That makes everything simpler.

The SWARF path has option for controlling the tilt during the lead in/out motion, to match the angle of the surface.

What you haven't really told us is; what kind of machine is this for? That makes all the difference. Do you want a 3-Axis path to machine this, or are you running this on a 5-Axis Mill?

As a hint, SWARF would not be a good option for machining, unless you had a 4-Axis machine at a minimum. It will work great on a 5-Axis machine.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

SWARF would be the easiest way to do this, but I'd recommend that you create a single surface that you can use to drive the path. That makes everything simpler.

The SWARF path has option for controlling the tilt during the lead in/out motion, to match the angle of the surface.

What you haven't really told us is; what kind of machine is this for? That makes all the difference. Do you want a 3-Axis path to machine this, or are you running this on a 5-Axis Mill?

As a hint, SWARF would not be a good option for machining, unless you had a 4-Axis machine at a minimum. It will work great on a 5-Axis machine.

Lucas has a 5 Axis router.

Take a look at this file and see if it helps.

5axis Swarf 2 Deg Wall

• Like 1