Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rest machining without taking a full lap

JB7280

I've roughed the outside of this part with a 1/2" endmill and I want to remove the material that's left in the corners with a 1/4" endmill (the corners are .13" rad).  Using dynamic contour, i was able to pretty much do what I want, but I don't need to take the full lap around the part.  Is there an easier/better/more efficient way of doing this?  Attaching a screenshot.  Can't send the Z2G.

ring.png

Instead of using the Dynamic Contour for the 1/4 dia tool, use the 2d Dynamic HSpeed

You will need to create a machining boundary, you can offset the existing contour slightly more than the tool dia. By using the 2D HSpeed you will be able to activate the rest mill function using the stock utility. Select the offset chain as the machining boundary, don't forget to use from outside for the strategy and use the finished profile as the avoidance region. In the stock utility select the previous HSpeed contour to run the rest mill against.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, CJep said:

Instead of using the Dynamic Contour for the 1/4 dia tool, use the 2d Dynamic HSpeed

You will need to create a machining boundary, you can offset the existing contour slightly more than the tool dia. By using the 2D HSpeed you will be able to activate the rest mill function using the stock utility. Select the offset chain as the machining boundary, don't forget to use from outside for the strategy and use the finished profile as the avoidance region. In the stock utility select the previous HSpeed contour to run the rest mill against.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try shortly.  Mastercam could really stand to work on their stock recognition without jumping through a bunch of hoops like that.  But if it works, I'll do it!

Dynamic contour is not setup to do remachining, it's a constant engagement finishing tpath

2D Dynamic HSpeed is a constant engagement roughing tpath, ifen you're looking to setup a restmill op yah gotta go with that tpath

The reason for offsetting the contour is to give the 2D Dynamic HSpeed the correct parameters to run the algorithm, it requires a machining boundary 

Ifen you don't care to use a HSpeed tpath you can turn a legacy 2D contour into a remachining tpath using the contour type drop down on the cut parameters page

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CJep said:

Dynamic contour is not setup to do remachining, it's a constant engagement finishing tpath

2D Dynamic HSpeed is a constant engagement roughing tpath, ifen you're looking to setup a restmill op yah gotta go with that tpath

The reason for offsetting the contour is to give the 2D Dynamic HSpeed the correct parameters to run the algorithm, it requires a machining boundary 

Ifen you don't care to use a HSpeed tpath you can turn a legacy 2D contour into a remachining tpath using the contour type drop down on the cut parameters page

Basically what I ended up doing.  But for some reason it wants to jump back and forth instead of doing one contour complete, then moving to the next.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but i feel like the software should be smarter than that.  In other softwares, even in a constant engagement toolpath, the software knows that material has already been cut, and knows it doesn't have to re-cut the whole profile.   A lot of things could be, and ARE easier with other CAM packages.  Unfortunately, this is the one I'm stuck with for now.  

rest2.png

16 minutes ago, CJep said:

do you have multi-passes turned on using both a roughing and finishing passes

make certain you have "machine finish after roughing" turned off and set the multipass to "by contour"

"by contour" fixed it.  But i'm almost certain I had done that already.  Oh well, it's fixed!

3 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Mastercam could really stand to work on their stock recognition without jumping through a bunch of hoops like that.  But if it works, I'll do it!

This has a bit more to do with the tpath you started with and how you're defining your stock

In the attached sample file I have two different types of tpaths the stock has been defined as a rectangular block. Notice when the 2D HSpeed contour is run the tool starts in the material. This due to that tpath following a contour that is defining what is to be machined. In the 2D Dynamic mill tpaths the stock boundary is being use for the machining region and the part geom is selected as the avoidance region, now the roughing tpath starts outside of the stock and collapses on to the part geom. The remachining tpath is a copy of the roughing tpath with the rest material activated and the tool changed out for a 1/4" dia emill

2D HSpeed -w- Remachine.mcam

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CJep said:

This has a bit more to do with the tpath you started with and how you're defining your stock.

Thanks, I’ll definitely check

that out when I get back to the shop.  Ill admit, our reseller, and level of support hasn’t been very good, so maybe I’m doing things wrong.  I just know that in the past, I haven’t had these problems with other CAM packages.  But maybe it’s just how I’m approaching it. 

So

15 hours ago, CJep said:

This has a bit more to do with the tpath you started with and how you're defining your stock

In the attached sample file I have two different types of tpaths the stock has been defined as a rectangular block. Notice when the 2D HSpeed contour is run the tool starts in the material. This due to that tpath following a contour that is defining what is to be machined. In the 2D Dynamic mill tpaths the stock boundary is being use for the machining region and the part geom is selected as the avoidance region, now the roughing tpath starts outside of the stock and collapses on to the part geom. The remachining tpath is a copy of the roughing tpath with the rest material activated and the tool changed out for a 1/4" dia emill

2D HSpeed -w- Remachine.mcam

So, dumb question.  In the dynamic mill toolpath you made, you have the avoidance region picked, but no machining region, and stock isn't picked.  I was always under the impression you had to create a boundary as a machining region?  How does MC know where you have stock with your parameters?

On 7/27/2019 at 6:34 AM, JB7280 said:

So

So, dumb question.  In the dynamic mill toolpath you made, you have the avoidance region picked, but no machining region, and stock isn't picked.  I was always under the impression you had to create a boundary as a machining region?  How does MC know where you have stock with your parameters? 

the only dumb question  is the one left un-asked,..

The machining region in the sample file is the stock boundary, if nothing is selected with regard to geom it will revert to the stock

When setting up a machining boundary for an oddly shaped part say a forging or casting then you need to create boundary to define the shape. I have attached another sample using an offset boundary. The red is the finished part geom and the green defining the shape of the stock I'm starting with, the solid model on level 14 was used to define the stock for Verify.

2D HSpeed -w- Remachine_02.mcam